Goodbye AVSA

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
To be honest ,I haven?t noticed because i haven?t bought an issue of AVSA for awhile. So why the hell am I so sad that Audio Video  South Africa has published its last print issue?

Welll I suppose for the same reason that I was sad to see most branches of  Exclusive Books closing down when  I myself have not bought a book there in yonks,all whilst reading more than ever  but on Kindle.

Qver the past few years I have changed all my  subscriptions to Hi Fi mags to digital-that is bar the quirky French Vu Metre who despite years of trying I still don?t manage to read. So why would a digital AVSA be so bad? Well fact is that instead of spending hours in the toilet or at the breakfast table poring over the icons, Hi Fi News is now a 5 minute cursory glance on a computer screen with Stereophile less than half a minute and The Absolute Sound hardly a shrug and a sigh.

So how much attention would a digital AVSA get? Dunno,I hope a lot but to be honest it will have to be from those same other people I blame for not buying something I no longer bought myself.

Is it purely going digital  that killed my interest in Audio magazines? Is it the plethora of fora or is it the ridiculous way  the High End is going? At 55 and supposedly at the pinnacle of my carreer,truth is I can afford the cutting edge even less than I could as a struggling medical registrar almost 3 decades ago. Is only Mr Zuma to blame or is it the High End industry pampering more and more to Far Eastern Nouveau Riche where the higher the price the better is the only factor?

Has  audio journalism left me behind or has the audio industry passed me by? I suspect the latter.

That does not decrease the sadness  of seeing our only AV publication ceasing to exist  in its current form . So long guys and  apologies if my failing support caused all of this.

Latest posts