My first ever DIY bookshelf speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxxyc

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
OK so as promised, here is the thread for my DIY bookshelf speakers build.  These are the first ever speakers I'll be building for home use, and I am extremely excited.  I have to date only ever built speakers and enclosures for car use (99% of which were subwoofer boxes for making as much noise as possible), so this is something I'm not used to (the fine work).

The build was intended to be as cheap as possible while not installing absolute crap, so I tried to save money wherever I could.  I kept this in mind while purchasing the drivers and everything else as well, and this is what I came up with.  The specifications for these speakers are as follows:

Drivers:
Woofers:  Sica Z002601 5", 120W drivers
Tweeters:  Sica Z009220 1", 160W silk dome tweeters

Crossovers:
Skytronic 2-way crossover, 100W, 12dB/Oct, 8ohm, crossing over at 3.5kHz

Enclosure:
Volume:  7.6l (excluding the volume of the braces, drivers, crossovers, cables and stuffing)
Material:  16mm MDF, CNC cut, double-thickness baffle

I'll start assembling the enclosure this weekend and post pics in the coming week.  I just saw the MDF that was cut and it looks absolutely incredible.  The precision is astounding, I'm going to wager a guess and say that it'll be REALLY easy to assemble as well.  Can't wait.  I still need to order ports, binding posts and a veneer/vinyl covering for the enclosures, or I should paint them with a textured paint.  I'm still deciding, and I have no idea where to get veneer.  Most shops look at me like I'm crazy when I ask for it...

Anyway, the design of the enclosure looks like this:

unknown.png

unknown.png

And my total cost so far:

Drivers & Crossovers:  R1,000
MDF and CNC:  R400

Looking forward to posting updates!