Advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottulusMaximus

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right, I know nothing about headphones but want to put up a little system for the GF so I don't have to listen to the  :cr@p: she plays!

First and only rule of this thread, if anyone mentions the word "cans" I will request a mod to delete the post and ban you  :) I can't stand that word in reference to headphones for some reason...

First off, I have a set of HD 280 Pro's that were used for mixing, unfortunately they went in a bag at some point and something got pushed through into the right driver damaging it completely, they're going off to Sennheiser to get a quote for repair so will see what comes of that. Worth repairing? I dunno...

Now for the driving, need a DAC and amp combo as it's all coming from a laptop. I really want tubes, cos it's me, I have a lead on a HifiMan HiFiMan EF2A for $105 or there's this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hybrid-Class-A-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-USB-DAC-Audio-Decorder-HiFi-Valve-Preamp/252360534645?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Which is just glorious to behold, not worried about the SQ, just worried about the reliability of it and being Class A it's going to get stupid hot. Anyone used Douk products before?

The other option I've come up with is a Schiit Modi with either a Magni(no tubes) or a Vali(lightbulb!), this is by far the most expensive option and having 2 separate boxes is a bit complicated. Jotty is way out, Schiit really need a combined DAC/amp at the $200-$250 mark.

Help! Go...