Metal working tools

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I started this thread because my "crossover" thread is getting full of other posts, not really relevant to it.

I went to the tool shop today to get some bits and pieces to allow me to cut stainless steel without so much drama.  Now, you think woodworking tools are expensive?  Think again...  The metal working bits and pieces make brands like Festool look like kid's toys in comparison.  In general the things aren't too bad, but when you get down to some serious equipment (the kind I like), then things get ugly quickly.

So, the salesman helped me out with some nice carbide tools and tool tips which will sort that stainless steel out.  Also had to buy a new parting tool (to cut the milled piece of the end of the rod), and a holder for it.  The holder is 20mm high, and my machine can only take up to 16mm tools, so I am taking the holder to a machining shop close to my office tomorrow & ask the guy if he would be willing to machine it down for me.  Probably end up costing more than the tool holder itself, but there is no other choice.

Just to give you an idea of what I am talking about - check the pictures below.  When you buy a 5.5mm drill bit and an M6 tap, and they are packaged in their own little plastic resealable box like that, you must know you are in for a rough time.

The drill bit and plug tap are both solid carbinde.  Not the kind of stuff you pick up over the weekend at Mica tho.

The tap (black one), is R 262 each, and the drill (silver one) is R 240 each.

As soon as the tool holder is back from the machine shop I can start working on those stainless steel spikes.  To be honest, I am a bit exited - like a kid with new toys  ;D
My credit card on the other hand  :mad:  Not so much...

Ian.

Attachments

• DSC01322.JPG
    DSC01322.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01323.JPG
    DSC01323.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts