Author Topic: Where to repair CDP  (Read 3918 times)

Offline chipwelder

Where to repair CDP
« on: May 15, 2007, 07:42:08 AM »
Hi

My old faithful Rotel RCD 855 veddy limited edition is refusing to read any CD's, one moment it worked fine and the next it stopped... The Laser mechanism is still working and the cellphone cam says the laser is still burning/shining... It doesn't hunt for long, as if out of alignment, it just goes to the start, tries to focus and gives an error...

So where do I get it fixed, or if you have an idea, what the problem is, Lemme know...
"Inherited" a Nakamichi MB4 S... so am OK for sound right now, but it doesn't sound the same as the hot-rodded Rotel, still pleasant enough.

Thanks!
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Where to repair CDP
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:53:45 AM »
Not sure what could cause a CDP to suddenly stop playing, except this: when I replaced the laser on my RCD855 I accidentally pinched the flexible PCB-type cable. After about 2 years of infrequent play it eventually failed and now just emits a loud noise, very much like listening to a digital stream.

Perhaps you should just open it up and do the unplug/plug in routine on the internal connectors.

I would really like to know what mods you have made to your 855.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Flying High, Digging Low
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:51:27 AM »
Shaun, I have a working RCD-855(only occasionally skips on some cd tracks) which you can have. Next time you are in Bothasig or close to, give me a shout if you want it. Just let me know a day or so before the time as I have it at work at the moment.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:12:49 AM by alphabet »
Don't take life too seriously, you will not make it out alive.....

(Location Cape Town)

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:12:40 AM »
Shaun, I have a working RCD-855(only occasionally skips on some cd tracks) which you can have. Next time you are in Bothasig or close to, give me a shout if you want it.

Gee, I'd love that! Will certainly do so. Thanks, boet! Reminds me, though: ever get that sub fixed? (apologies for minor thread hijack).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »
Still waiting for the sub :o

(Location Cape Town)

Online Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »
Hi

My old faithful Rotel RCD 855 veddy limited edition is refusing to read any CD's, one moment it worked fine and the next it stopped... The Laser mechanism is still working and the cellphone cam says the laser is still burning/shining... It doesn't hunt for long, as if out of alignment, it just goes to the start, tries to focus and gives an error...

So where do I get it fixed, or if you have an idea, what the problem is, Lemme know...
"Inherited" a Nakamichi MB4 S... so am OK for sound right now, but it doesn't sound the same as the hot-rodded Rotel, still pleasant enough.

Thanks!

More than likely the Laser assembly has lost its focus point, probably through component drift. You would need a 'Scope and preferably a Service Manual to adjust the relative pot. I have an old Sony that did that after about five years, was fortunate in obtaining a SM and it has played beautifully for the past 15 years now! The older CDPs were streets ahead of the respective models of today!

-F_D

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:21:12 AM »
I have the Technical Manual in PDF format if that would be of any help, but it seems more like the schematic diagrams of all the components.

(Location Cape Town)

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 04:05:21 PM »
Alphabet, Thanks I'll PM you... and I'll do the re-plug...

I'll need to organise a scope

I had to bribe a friend to do it...

Separate psu for Audio and transport sections
Upgraded PSU caps and filtering.
Soft recovery diodes and MKP's
Upgraded op-amps to AD712's, added bypass caps here too...
Removed DC-Blocking cap on outputs, so yes you switch it on first...
Sandbagged it...
The difference in measurables weren't very big, but the little changes made a difference in involvement
Transient response and high frequencies are now quite good...

all you 855 owners in CPT? tsk tsk, would have liked a direct comparison to hear what it actually did to the sound...

OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 09:34:54 AM »
I have found the 855 to be excellent with good quality recordings, but extremely unforgiving with anything less perfect. In that regard I prefer the Marantz CDP that I have now as it does show if a recording is inferior, but not as critically as the Rotel.

(Location Cape Town)

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
That's about my findings too, the changes made would tend to result in a less brittle top-end, so it is perhaps you might find it less critical with the changes made...

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »
That's about my findings too, the changes made would tend to result in a less brittle top-end, so it is perhaps you might find it less critical with the changes made...

Thats exactly it, the brittle top-end which on no-so-good recordings sounds "tinny" ;)

(Location Cape Town)

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »
Thanks for Manual will give it a stab, and one day you are around this part of the neighborhood, give it a listen...

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 10:51:29 AM »
Does she spin up?
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »
Nope... new job and getting wed, and have a stand - in CDP is no good for time and motivation... will at this point spend cash to get it working, if I ever get around to it... ::)