Status Audio CB-1 closed back cans - just delivered from Amazon

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolla

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Ooh, nicely surprised today with the delivery of 2 sets of cans, the Status Audio CB-1 and the Philips SHP-9500s

19v1fo.jpg

The Philips is quite well known here and I already have one, so not to much to say there. However, the Status Audio is quite scarce around here it seems, so hence the subject of this thread.

egu15s.jpg

Nice big sturdy box and the headphones are fastened to the packaging via 2 twisty wire thingies.

I have to say I was not expecting much, so was very surprised to hear that straight out of the box they sound pretty decent. My initial plan was to just try them out and then sell them on again - not so eager to sell em anymore.  :groovy:

They are super light and pretty comfy. The sound from the 50mm drivers is very good, even un-amped. It is quite well balanced, goes deep, clarity is good. I high-mid is a little forward for taste, but has already improved from the hour or so listening. I do think that they need to be run in still. I will give them a good 100 hours before I critisize them, but I do suspect that there won't be much to say - so far VERY impressed and looks to be a very enjoyable set of cans.

As I said, they are pretty comfy with good padding, just enough space for my ears. Clamp is secure, but not too tight. Detachable 3.5mm cable on the left, so you can easily upgrade cables.

I really think this is a winner, especially at the landed price of around R1500, which makes it a real bargain in my book.

Initial verdict: Highly recommended for over ear closed cans.

Manufacturer site:
https://thestatusaudio.com/products/cb1