Direct Sound Vs Wasapi

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeman

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
After doing some testing last night and considering alternate music players i have stuck with Kodi ( for now ).

I noticed a issue when playing Chris Jones - Long After Your Gone where the vocal was really distorted...but only on this track, initially i thought it was my speakers ( dynaudio active bookshelves ) as its not noticeable on any other system i listen to. After much tweaking and adjustments i thought let me try play the same track in VLC and it was smoother and clearer.

I then went back to Kodi and changed from Wasapi to Direct Sound ( Korg DAC ) and the difference was immediate. Smoother vocals and way more defined instruments. Now is WASAPI causing the problem or is Kodi's implementation of WASAPI the issue?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful?

I know by using Direct Sound i am missing out on the DAC detecting the bitrate of a track but as you all know in this hobby there are no set rules and you gotta use what sounds best for you.