Ares dac as outboard dac for CD player

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christowp

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I endorse all the positive comments including what seems to be superlatives used at times. This is truly a wonderful piece of equipment that performs really well as a dac for hi res music. I recently upgraded J River to 22 and its even better now - smooth, detailed, good bass and oh so musical. I am really enjoying it - its one of the few audio buys I made without an audition.

I decided to try it as an outboard dac with my 30+ year old Yamaha CDX 1110 CD player as transport using AR optical cable. This dac is really great in this role. All the edge I sometimes experienced is gone, clean highs and deep tuneful bass even at low volume and just such an effortless presentation with a "big soundstage" providing the scale I find realistic and enjoyable. This to me is an added bonus that has given my CD player a new lease on life. It also keeps the music flowing while I systematically rip my CD collection and organise my filing system.

My CD player now sounds as good as the turntables I use on occasions. Some of the ripped CD's sound better with the Yam player as transport together with this dac as opposed to flac version. I need more listening to clarify this though. Early days.     

Latest posts