[Review] - La Scala Optologic DAC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjvrens

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Evening All

One of the things that make our hobby so interesting is the continuous search for something more, to add that missing piece making music even more enjoyable. A couple of months ago I decided to search for a new DAC that could take my system closer to that elusive goal. The DAC had to deliver on a couple of criteria:
- First and foremost it had to be special in terms of sound quality and character, without breaking the bank
- be valve based
- needed to be R2R based
- support DSD
- provide a wide range of input types, including a high-quality USB input
- wanted to connect my server directly to the DAC via USB without the need for any costly converters, simplifying the setup
- have an architecture that would allow for future upgrades as I don?t want to upgrade anytime soon again
- synergy with the existing components in my system and its  sound character
- had to have great local support

Largely based on the research, advice, and opinion of a good friend the list of possible DAC?s was narrowed down to a couple of excellent brands, two of which he made available to me for testing.

Each had a unique character and all of them are great DAC?s. Being able to spend time listening to each was a great experience but also frustrating. Frustrating because the decision ended up being a very difficult one. Two of the DAC?s was just in another league and to my ears very close to each other. The one I preferred from a sound character perspective I knew did not meet all the criteria, but it sounded so beautiful. The 2nd one was very close but it wasn?t the latest version, and I knew it would not be possible to test the latest version as there wasn?t any in SA at that moment in time. However, the 2nd did meet all of the other criteria, while still sounding great.

I took the plunge and placed on order for 2nd one?s new version, the La Scala Optologic. Even though all reviews of the Optologic indicated that it was a very special DAC, I still had a very nervous feeling. I spent a significant amount of money without having heard it in my room and system. Would it work with the rest of the system? As it turned out I had no reason to worry.

The DAC was graciously delivered to my house by Stefan himself. We immediately unpacked it and connected it. For the next, I think hour we listened to one song after the other.
IMG_3413_zpskbvquls1.jpg

As we all know most components need time to settle and achieve its optimal level of performance. La Scala recommends that the DAC needs about 200 hours to reach its full potential. The La Scala, however, did not even have to change, the character and sound quality from the minute it was switched on was precisely what I had hoped for and more. It did not need to change or ?improve? further.

What does it sound like? Difficult to describe without falling into the normal audiophile buzz words trap. To me what makes the La Scala special is the following:
1. It is absolutely dead quiet, there is no valve noise what so ever in the background. Because of the low noise floor notes and instruments pop out
2. Large sound stage in terms of width, height, depth and layering
3. Fantastic placement and definition of individual components in the sounds stage. On Rodger Waters - Amused to Death the person talking on the Radio at the start of the track is now projected on the outside of the speaker and farther away into the distance
4. The USB interface is phenomenal, to my ears, there is no loss in sound quality, character or detail. Previously on many occasions, I felt that USB inputs sounded as if there was a curtain in front of the music. Not with the La Scala
5. The amount of detail provided is phenomenal. Not detail as in high-frequency glare and harshness. True detail within the music. On one track I could hear someone move on a chair, on another a person breathing in the background.
6. I don?t know what to call it really, ambiance or air. Listening to Cowboy Junkies, The Trinity Session -  Mining for Gold feels like you are in the mine shaft with them. The hum of the air conditioning in the background create a feeling of space/size/openness which I had not experienced before with my system
7. Notes have become tactile. Listing to Yello, Touch - Till Tomorrow (feat. Till Br?nner) is as if you can feel the air flowing from his trumpet. On guitar tracks, you can feel the strings being played.
8. Dynamics are fantastic, going from 0 to full throttle without effort to the point where I got a massive fright at the start of a track when I had forgotten the volume on the amp was turned up. But never losing any of its finesse
9. Bass is very controlled but still full and deep. A drum set sounds like a drum set being played in front of you.
10. The sound stage is stable, never breaking down no matter how complex the music gets.
11. Piano and Guitar's sound absolutely beautifully clean
12. Vocals are like liquid gold, I have never heard Karen Carpenter sound so beautiful (Carpenters Gold (UK Version) - Solitaire)
13. Build quality is at a very very high level
14. Direct support from Aqua is amazing. Before ordering the DAC I sent various questions through to Aqua, every single time they responded within a couple of hours.
15. With the La Scala there is a sense of calmness when listening to music, I can just enjoy the music for the beautiful music that it is. With previous DAC's I could not listen for extended periods without getting tired and iterated with the sound. Now I can listen for hours without getting tired at all.

I have to also say that not only is the DAC fantastic, but even more so the phenomenal way in which Stefan was involved. From day 1 throughout all the questions, indecisiveness, testing, having discussions, asking the same questions again, keeping me up to date after the order had been placed, delivering the unit to my house, installing it and staying in contact wanting to know if I am enjoying the unit. This goes beyond customer service.

Thank you, Stefan, for the great experience!!!!!!

PS. W, thank you for having introduced me to the La Scala.