Another DIY amplifier (Amp1)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangmonster

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Yes , you read correctly. There is so many good and awsome amplifiers on these forums and others.

And yet I decided to do my take on a DIY amplifer.

I have built many lm3886  amplifiers , I highly suggest any newby start with building one of these on some vero board.
They sound great , and teach you a lot. I loved their sound. But in my opinion they have 1 big drawback.

And that is that they sound horrible when clipping. And lets face it , we all clip our amplifiers at some stage.
Apart from those of us who invest in 1000W monsters with 2000Va transformers

Most class AB amplifiers are much better at clipping.

lm3886's are also R70 and more each.

Where you can get a 2SC5200 / 2SA1943 from RS together for about the same

People get very protective and uppity about transistors , possible even more than peoples about car brands.

the NJW1302 and NJW3281 combo can be had right now from RS for R38 + R22 = R60 (ex vat)

A single pair of these will do just great for <100W 4 to 8 ohm class AB amplifier on a +-35V dc rails.

After deciding on outputs I had to decide on one of the 10000's of amplifiers out there.

I really like rod elliot's way of explaining and thinking about things. Simple , technically sound and no snake oil thanks.

I liked the simplicity of his p3A amp even more.

Here is the image of the P3a from his site:

lots of reading here:

http://sound.whsites.net/project3a.htm

p3a-f1.gif

It has been built A 1000 times over by multiple people and most are very happy. So I am going to use his P3a as a starting point. no need to try and reinvent the wheel.
I am not going to try and chase 0.00000001% distortion here.

I am going to DIY an amplifier and pcb and I want to keep the parts cost sane to what I feel is good value for money and still sound great.
And if possible it must be  "better" than a standard P3A.

Latest posts