Author Topic: Sound proofing has made the noise worse  (Read 755 times)

Offline batman diver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Sound proofing has made the noise worse
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:49:25 AM »
I am hoping I can find some insight please, at work the neighbors are behind a dry wall this has been insulated and poses no problem, but the sound is now coming through the suspended ceiling, so we added some isotherm, that worked a bit ....
We then added cavity batt and built a cavity batt "wall" between the two rooms in the ceiling ( we put the cavity bat on its side )

This has made everything much worse ..... does anyone know how or why ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline DRNB

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Sound proofing has made the noise worse
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 07:55:45 AM »
Mainly because a cavity is actually a good insulator.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:25:51 AM by DRNB »
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline batman diver

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
Hmmmm so i must maybe try take the "wall" down and leave just the flat pieces

Offline DRNB

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
Haha... Funny thing is for good insulation some afsorbsion inside the dry wall is good. But you need the cavity as well.
Ideal would be drywall panel, absorbsion, cavity, drywall panel.
What you could do now is to leave it as is, but add another drywall panel against the wall, but with minimal direct contact to the existing wall.

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
The main thing to look at is what the sound can use as a medium. Sound travels. Dry well through certain solids. It may be that the wooden bracing for your firewall has created a physical coupling between your neighbour's ceiling and your ceiling.

There are two ways to stop sound energy moving... damping (ie turn sound energy into heat in a material like isotherm), or creating a large discontinuity between materials (ie the sound bounces back from the discontinuity, can't cross it).

If your structure gives sound a pathway to get around the damping or discontinuity, it will take it. 

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
    • Stockfisch South Africa
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
I am hoping I can find some insight please, at work the neighbors are behind a dry wall this has been insulated and poses no problem, but the sound is now coming through the suspended ceiling, so we added some isotherm, that worked a bit ....
We then added cavity batt and built a cavity batt "wall" between the two rooms in the ceiling ( we put the cavity bat on its side )

This has made everything much worse ..... does anyone know how or why ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like you gave the sound a channel by connecting the two walls with the cavity batt. A rubberised strip to stop the cavity batt touching the walls should help.
See the principal here.
http://www.greengluecompany.com
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline mustang76

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »
The main thing to look at is what the sound can use as a medium. Sound travels. Dry well through certain solids. It may be that the wooden bracing for your firewall has created a physical coupling between your neighbour's ceiling and your ceiling.

There are two ways to stop sound energy moving... damping (ie turn sound energy into heat in a material like isotherm), or creating a large discontinuity between materials (ie the sound bounces back from the discontinuity, can't cross it).

If your structure gives sound a pathway to get around the damping or discontinuity, it will take it.

+1

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
" Sound travels. Dry well through certain solids."

This is obviously meant to say "sound travels very well...". Damn autocorrect.

:pleasant: