CNC Build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubesocket

Reaction score
So... I haven't posted here in a loooong while, however I read a lot here, and find all of the projects everyone is busy with very inspiring. Having built a couple of pre-amplifiers etc. I got frustrated with making chassis out of builders aluminium or using shoddy steel cases. I also decided on a speaker build, as I do a bit of woodworking, however lekker ideas need lekker machines to get a good quality product. Had a chat to Ian, and over the last two or three years got to a point where I needed a proper CNC. So I started... I bought his old machine, but having seen his, I realised that there might be a easier way of achieving certain objectives given my current constraints.. So we went to work... The constraints are those all of us can identify with:

1. Money
2. Time
3. Milling facilities

So my build has the following objectives:

1. Use what I have
2. Spend as little as possible
3. Achieve high precision at levels industrial machines can achieve
4. Structural rigidity that will deliver consistent results, at high precision, consistently
5. Minimize bolts and tapping
6. Minimize milled surfaces
7. Minimize screw ups
8. Have some fun
9. Get it perfectly level without levels and fancy measuring equipment...

So, the machine is built almost entirely with aluminium plate cut on a table saw, and aluminium cross extrusions glued together. Milling has been minimized and the screw count is minimal. I think the control box will have more bolts than the actual machine... :)

Over the weekend I will post some photos of the build progress and share some lessons learned....

Watch this space :)  :rubhands:

Latest posts