Am I biting off more than I can chew, speakers and amp as a school project?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

I have no DIY experience but my teenage twin girls are keen to build a speaker and some sort of amplifiction as their Science project.  The idea being that someone could plug in a source (maybe even just a cellphone or usb) and be able to use the combinaion to play music. They both love music and listen to our set up at home daily. If this is possible they would end up learning about sound principles, wave theory, and a whole bunch of other things.  But back to the problem.  I have zero experience in this.  Is this doable for a novice with very low budget (school project rules dictate that it cannot be an expensive exercise)?  If so, where do I start and if so, is there anyone out there with a love for DIY audio who is open to guiding the three of us with this project?  A kind of mentor if you will.  We live in Centurion but I would be happy to travel to come and see our "guru" for updates.

Alastair