Author Topic: Suggestion to the classifieds section...  (Read 310 times)

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • воля
    • Audiophile Mythologies - TNT Audio
Suggestion to the classifieds section...
« on: May 04, 2017, 11:34:41 PM »
I still see people posting ads without stating their location or adding pictures of the item.

If it's possible, can't the classifieds section be set to moderator approval. In other words, if the ad doesn't correspond to the already well established template it won't get approved.
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,53442.0.html

Or, if a poster click new post in classifieds, if it can pop up with a form which requires that all sections be filled in before he/she could continue posting.

It's honestly ticking me off.  :flyswat:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:38:43 PM by oNyX »
The Pre-History of British Audiophile Mythologies - TNT Audio

Silver conduct better than Copper, Copper conducts better than Gold. It doesn't matter how it conducts, it simply needs a connection.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Suggestion to the classifieds section...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
Are you offering your time and bandwidth to moderate?

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 07:45:47 AM »
We've tried this, we've even drawn up a simple template. Sellers ignore it because they prefer doing things their way. We've tried policing it, we've removed posts that do not comply, it all falls on deaf ears.

So what happens? Most people just skim over the seller's post and do not bother looking up external links/reviews etc unless it is really something they actually want.

Then the sellers start posting threads about how useless this forum is, no one expresses an interest in their 'for sale' items.

Over 90% of the problems the Mods experience on this forum are caused solely by the classifieds section due to non-compliance in one way or another.

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »
well the ad itself is an expression of the interest that the seller has of selling his item .... if he is serious about it then he will follow the template .... but generally the ad will be taken as seriously as the effort that the seller has put into it

having said that photos of the item have never been compulsory and should not be .... mainly because not everyone has a decent camera .... for example when i did have a decent camera i was happy to post pics of every item i was selling including R200 cables but now that i have sold my camera i am reliant on my cellphone to take pictures and these usually land up being crappy useless pictures that no amount of photo editing can improve much .... and as a result im very unhappy with the pictures i have been posting recently (not only on sale threads but altogether so i may even stop posting the crappy pics until i get a decent camera again, unless its something i have to post thats totally integral to the story im trying to convey)

google pics are pretty useless in a sale thread because mostly people want those pics to gauge the condition of the item being sold, and if you dont own a camera it is extremely difficult to have to borrow a camera to get pictures of your item

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
You can get a decent Samsung digital camera for R750,00.  A handy device to have around, not just for taking pictures of audio gear

Some people are just not good at expressing themselves when it comes to describing something, so as a potential buyer, its up to you to contact any seller to ascertain more details of the item, plus a location if it is not apparent.  I have had people ask me for an email address and location, whereas if they clicked on my user name, it is all there.  Of course it might not occur for anyone to click on a user name to check profile details, but you cannot spoon-feed everyone

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:43:59 AM »
You can get a decent Samsung digital camera for R750,00.  A handy device to have around, not just for taking pictures of audio gear

Some people are just not good at expressing themselves when it comes to describing something, so as a potential buyer, its up to you to contact any seller to ascertain more details of the item, plus a location if it is not apparent.  I have had people ask me for an email address and location, whereas if they clicked on my user name, it is all there.  Of course it might not occur for anyone to click on a user name to check profile details, but you cannot spoon-feed everyone

i have tried one of those Samsung cheapie camera thingies - its not that much better than cellphone pics  :nfi:

for those types of results its pointless to get one if your cellphone can actually take pics

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • воля
    • Audiophile Mythologies - TNT Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
Are you offering your time and bandwidth to moderate?

Not really. I wouldn't make a good moderator.
The Pre-History of British Audiophile Mythologies - TNT Audio

Silver conduct better than Copper, Copper conducts better than Gold. It doesn't matter how it conducts, it simply needs a connection.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »

+1

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za