Bias Lighting

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottulusMaximus

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
An introduction:

What Is Bias Lighting and What Are the Benefits?
Before we delve into what bias lighting is and why you?ll benefit enormously from implementing it in your work space and living room alike, we need to look at the mechanics of the human eye to truly understand why bias lighting isn?t just a showy trick akin to putting superfluous lights on a street rod but a very useful technique that not only increases viewing comfort but image quality at the same time.

When we watch television or use a computer work station in a completely dark or significantly darkened room we create a less-than-ideal viewing situation wherein our eyes are staring very intently at a small window of very bright light that is floating in a sea of darkness. Despite the fact that we accurately perceive the screen to be very bright in relationship to the rest of the scene our eyes take in, our eyes attempt to adjust based on the average brightness across the entire field of view and not the average brightness of the screen (or, conversely, the dimmer off-screen area). As a result our eyes become rapidly fatigued and with extended exposure we experience dry eyes, general discomfort, watery eyes, and even tension headaches radiating out from the temple area. In worst case scenarios with extended exposure some people experience ocular migraines, extreme headaches that result from intense eye strain.

https://www.howtogeek.com/213464/how-to-decrease-eye-fatigue-while-watching-tv-and-gaming-with-bias-lighting/

Just brought in a kit for my TV, not sure about the eye fatigue but the perceived contrast is certainly better. A really simple and effective tweak for an HT setup, and it's bright enough so if you're a philistine like me you can eat dinner with the lights off without getting most of it on your lap.

From avforums.com ;)

https://www.avforums.com/article/do-i-need-bias-mood-lighting-tv.10747