Author Topic: Stereo 50  (Read 1329 times)

Offline AudioRecycle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Stereo 50
« on: April 30, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
Hi

What brand could this be? Is Stereo 50 the unit name or brand name?

Offline KOD

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Stereo 50
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
Perhaps Supersonic?
Grundig/Eddystone/B&O/Montgomery Ward/NAD

Offline AudioRecycle

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »
Perhaps Supersonic?

The other names popping up are..
Schaub-Lorenz Savoy Stereo 50
or only
Savoy stereo 50

But judging the apparent quality of the unit it could very well be Supersonic  :2c: ass stereo.

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Toybox
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »
There was a Tempest "Stereo Super Sixty", many of which were made in Rhodesia (Bulawayo factory I think).

Any pics of the interior?

I think they were based on technology licenced from Blaupunkt and/or Telefunken - the DIN sockets, that 5-gang voltage synthesizer tuner all hint at that too.

The power rocker switch looks like a DIY hack.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:16:40 PM by Steerpike »

Offline AudioRecycle

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »

Not mine so I can't open it.

Offline KOD

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
There was a Tempest "Stereo Super Sixty", many of which were made in Rhodesia (Bulawayo factory I think).

I think they were based on technology licenced from Blaupunkt and/or Telefunken - the DIN sockets, that 5-gang voltage synthesizer tuner all hint at that too.

The power rocker switch looks like a DIY hack.
Did Supersonic in Pietersburg take over Tempest from Rhodesia?
I recall many similarities between the two and their mains/battery models were very popular with the powerless.
Grundig/Eddystone/B&O/Montgomery Ward/NAD

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • All things vintage has history.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:33:44 PM »
It's probably a homebuilt kit amp. The text of the bass and treble knobs is from letterset stencils. It also looks like the power switch was fitted after the letterset was applied.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:35:54 PM by oNyX »
Recapping of vintage equipment isn't restoration. By definition, restoration means returning to it's original condition.

Oh, what difficult hobby this is. When you hear something new you'll find yourself swapping out or upgrading kit.

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:48 PM »
It's probably a homebuilt kit amp. The text of the bass and treble knobs is from letterset stencils. It also looks like the power switch was fitted after the letterset was applied.

agreed on the homebuilt. the tuner section looks like the module which my dad bought from a1 radio in the early 70's & built into a cabinet.
if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
agreed on the homebuilt.

Maybe. But maybe not. The finish on SA- and Rhodesian-built audio (Tempest, Supersonic, and some Philips, Blaupunkt) did look exactly like that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:05:44 AM by Steerpike »

Offline DeonC

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 11:13:09 PM »
It looks a lot like an old Supersonic amp I had many years ago (I was still a kid, so MANY years ago). It was a nice enough bit of kit, and I had a lot of fun with it. I still remember our gardener's comment when I demoed it to him and turned up the volume real loud. He said: 'Jinne, kleinbaas, hy kan blaas!' :ROFLMAO: Still one of my favorite comments of all time.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline Ampdog

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
Mmmm ....

The random holes in the backplate do look like homemade, but that could of course have been made afterwards. If homemade, it looks for all the world like a student build project I designed in the early 60s, for technicians then taught at the CSIR in a sandwich course. But again long ago and I can no longer remember that well. (Output stage OC16s? - sorry, you cannot look.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
. (Output stage OC16s? - sorry, you cannot look.)

Maybe a pair of 2N3055s?

Offline Ampdog

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 03:05:41 AM »
AudioRecycle,

I did determine from a colleague who was in charge of Training at the time that some amplifiers mentioned earlier, was executed this way. The f.m. tuner was a Philips unit wirth diode tuning - not synthesized. The push-button unit was of Swiss made, cannot recall the type. The writing on the front panel was photocopied onto a plastic film sticky on the back and stuck onto the aluminium panel.

Pity you are far away; I would have liked to see the innards to confirm. Is it possible to determine the history from the owner?
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:34 PM »
Not mine so I can't open it.

It seems that if you remove the screws into the wood at the back of the unit , the whole amp will slide out of the wooden enclosure . Maybe there are some screws from the bottom too .

It seems to be an interesting piece of Southern African Audio History .

The left and right 2-pin DIN speaker sockets look original , whereas the three 5-pin DIN inputs seem to be new-ish  , as does the white square 2-pin plug below the speaker socket . I guess the black 2-way switch below the other speaker socket may be a speaker impedance selection switch .
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:33:38 PM by fredeb »
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts