Advice needed: Amp Config and Downsampling

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Willemse

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Good morning to the experts... I need some help please!

I'm about to undertake (again) a  project of re-configuring my set-up. Some bullet points about the system before I ask my questions:

- Atmos 5.2.4 config
- Front Speakers Bi-Amplified
- Marantz AV 702mkII PrePro
- Marantz MM7055 5 ch Power amplifier x3
- Marantz UD7007 Player

The first question is around the front speaker bi-amplification. Firstly - the front L/R speakers are LARGE, having two 8" internal low range drivers, plus a mid + tweeter. The speakers have terminals to allow for tri-amplification, but I'm sticking with Bi-Amplification for now. So...

- Is there a better way to split the Pre-Pro L/R signal output other than a by using a good quality RCA splitter on each channel, feeding into two inputs per channel of the power amp?
- Would it be better to divide the L and R channels into 2 separate power amps, using only 2 of the 5 channels of each, instead of using 4 of the 5 of just one? My thinking is that using two would allow the power supplies of each amp have to work less by comparison to using only one amp. the balance of the channels of each amp would be used to drive the 4 atmos speakers which require very little oomph.

My next question is around the downsampling setting of the UD7007. Connection is via HDMI. There are options of 192, 96 and 48khz. I have played around with these settings, and find that on the 192 setting, the sound is particularly harsh and unnatural, and progressively gets better down to 48khz. at the lowest setting, the sound is much easier on the ears. I tried these settings on various disc formats from a normal CD, to DTS MA, Dolbydig and Dolby atmos. Any recommendations please! I run the fronts bypassed from Audyssey, no EQ or dynamic control.

Thanks for the help fellow members!