Author Topic: How/where to audition headphones  (Read 359 times)

Offline MirageF1AZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
How/where to audition headphones
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
Hey guys,

Sort of a follow-up to my previous post where I was lamenting the fact that I don't like the way my Beyerdynamic T50p sounds at all, and I was once again reminded of the folly of my ways for not auditioning them first (there was no local supplier in Cape Town at the time so I took a chance with a Jhb supplier!)

My question is now: how does one then go about auditioning headphones?  I mean where do you guys go?  I can't seem to really find any stores with much in the line of demos, at least in Cape Town.
And then that brings me to my 2nd question: it was also pointed out to me that some headphones (like my Beyerdynamics) need to be run in before you can really properly judge them (some reckon to the tune of 150+ hours), and I don't really see many stores having the luxury of keeping that much demo stock on hand, with that many run-in hours.

So isn't it a matter in the end of being forced to just go with reviews etc anyway?

Offline MirageF1AZ

• AVForums Member
Re: How/where to audition headphones
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »
Oh and I might add that I'm not looking to buy in the high-end, or even medium price range, which I think is part of the problem.  Stores seem to just want to demo the higher end of the range, and don't really care about us sub-R2000 crowd.  IMHO of course.

Offline dkronie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
We not so lucky , maybe some Musica stores has a demo pair but then only lower end models (Skull Candy & House of Marley) the last time I was in a Musica

I just blind buy after reading a few reviews and forums, never had a bad buy

Looking at a set of Shure SE215 Earphones on Massdrop now
Northen Sub , Cape Town

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
Yea, unfortunately it's a bit like demo'ing a toothbrush.

Trust the reviews rather and based on your musical tastes pick the best match
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline MirageF1AZ

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
Yes, that's what I feared.  Having been burned before with the Beyerdynamics I'm really skeptic now about any reviews.
But then again, apparently the T50p's are quite divisive and you either love them or hate them.

I also bought a pair of AKG in-ears for work a while ago with only a cursory look at reviews, and I love them!  Hmmm maybe I must then maar look at some AKG's for my next circumaural set.  Any opinions on the AKG K72 / K92?

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
Come to Jozi for a weekend & go visit C-Plan. He has a number of options available for audition. Then go to Cr@phole (Mall) of Africa & check out the Sennheiser experience/thingie there.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline MirageF1AZ

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
LOL OK, thanks.  I might just do that at some point.

Offline MirageF1AZ

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:38:13 PM »
I just had a look at C-plan's site and whoa it looks like a really nice range of stock.  I wish we had something similar in Ctn!  It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to make a plan to go to Jhb for a "business trip".  ;D

Offline Momo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »
I am interested in  the same range of headphones and I am going to audition them on sunday,will let you know what I think of those specific models.