How/where to audition headphones

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirageF1AZ

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sort of a follow-up to my previous post where I was lamenting the fact that I don't like the way my Beyerdynamic T50p sounds at all, and I was once again reminded of the folly of my ways for not auditioning them first (there was no local supplier in Cape Town at the time so I took a chance with a Jhb supplier!)

My question is now: how does one then go about auditioning headphones?  I mean where do you guys go?  I can't seem to really find any stores with much in the line of demos, at least in Cape Town.
And then that brings me to my 2nd question: it was also pointed out to me that some headphones (like my Beyerdynamics) need to be run in before you can really properly judge them (some reckon to the tune of 150+ hours), and I don't really see many stores having the luxury of keeping that much demo stock on hand, with that many run-in hours.

So isn't it a matter in the end of being forced to just go with reviews etc anyway?