Author Topic: Has anybody used this before?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Arkwright

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
Has anybody used this before?
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »
Last year, I purchased a secondhand Grundig Stenorette 2000 cassette recorder from Bid or Buy to add to my small collection, and received a second machine and three tapes with it. Both machines work, and the tapes play well for their age. Has anybody here used this tape recorder, and if so, what did you use it for?

Offline KOD

• AVForums Member
Re: Has anybody used this before?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »
These were used by doctors, lawyers, engineers and the like to dictate into while on the move and there was a dedicated playback machine with a footpedal and earphones for a dictaphone typist to type directly from the tape playback.  Very popular, robust and user-friendly back in the day which was up to about the late Eighties at which time they went digital.
Grundig/Eddystone/B&O/Montgomery Ward/NAD

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Toybox
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
I have a Sanyo and an Ocean that use the same Philips Mini-cassette.
Olympus had a competing system (technically better) called Microcasette.

I tried using them at school, in lessons, but they generally pick up too much background noise unless you use a good directioal mic, which would be expensive and obtrusive!

I also have a Grundig Stenorette from the pre-cassette period: since the recorder itself is so big, the remote control is quite elaborate, incorporating both microphone and loudspeaker.... so it has all the same functionality as a tiny recorder, only on the end of a long cable!

Offline Arkwright

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
These were used by doctors, lawyers, engineers and the like to dictate into while on the move and there was a dedicated playback machine with a footpedal and earphones for a dictaphone typist to type directly from the tape playback.  Very popular, robust and user-friendly back in the day which was up to about the late Eighties at which time they went digital.

Thank you for your response. That is very interesting, and I completely agree with them being robust.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »

I tried using them at school, in lessons, but they generally pick up too much background noise unless you use a good directioal mic, which would be expensive and obtrusive!

I also have a Grundig Stenorette from the pre-cassette period: since the recorder itself is so big, the remote control is quite elaborate, incorporating both microphone and loudspeaker.... so it has all the same functionality as a tiny recorder, only on the end of a long cable!

I still have a working Olympus with 1 x 15 minute per side microcassette!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Arkwright

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »

Thank you for your reponse. I also have two Philips Mini-Cassette recorders and one Mini-Cassette tape, as well as two Microcassette recorders made by Sanyo and Panasonic with two tapes.

Here they are: