Help NAS death!!!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morne Coetzee

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
A couple of months ago a fellow forumite convinced me to take digital to the next level, so off I went and bought a QNAP TS-453a NAS and a 8Tb WD red Drive, added an ADL stratos DAC to my levinson setup and have been enjoying having all my audio and video media available wireless on all my devices. That is untill last night when I wanted to watch a movie and noticed the network is down. Checked the NAS and it was in a boot loop. Long story short took it to Pinnacle today and they confirmed firmware recovery not possible most likely to motherboard failure. Whats worse is they did not have a replacement NAS and I had to pay in the difference and get the TS-653a, exactly the same except 6 bays not 4.

My Question is this, I had drives in bays 1, 3 and 4 of my 453a, can I just pop them into the corresponding bays of the new 653a or will the new NAS format them? If so how do I transfer the data, approx 12Tb from 2 volumes to other external drives, I can get my hands on a few 3Tb drives.

Buying another 8Tb WD Red just for this exercise is not an option considering the cost of the drive.  Suggestions would be welcome.

Latest posts