Beyerdynamic T50p - Advice needed

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirageF1AZ

Reaction score
Hi guys

Some advice needed please.

A while ago I wanted an upgrade from my run-of-the-mill PC headset used for music enjoyment so I decided to spoil myself to a decent pair of headphones (within a certain budget of course!).
I eventually settled on the Beyerdynamic T50p after reading some great reviews on e.g. whathifi.com among others.
I couldn't source any locally in Cape Town, so ended up taking the chance and ordering some from Jhb without listening.  A big mistake, I know!  But I figured hey, they got so many good reviews so must be decent, right?  ;)

Well, long story short: they sound horrible, to me at least.  Look, I certainly don't consider myself an audiophile.  I can't tell you whether bass is "muddy" or how wide the soundstage is or if the high end is "sparkly" (or whatever it's called).
I just know when something sounds good to me or not, and these sound ...I don't know ...tinny?  It's like cupping your hands around your ears.  It's like there's no real low or high end to speak of.  Sorry, I really don't know how else to describe it!

So before I try to see if there's somebody out there who might appreciate their sound better and wants to take them off my hands, I figured I'd ask you guys: is there something I'm missing?

Am I being impatient and they just need to burn in first?  I've read all kinds of opinions that either state that before burning in even the most expensive cans sound like 100 year old gramophones, or that it has absolutely no effect.
Just in case, I did leave them running for probably around 20 hours once and other than that I've probably listened to them a total of 5 hours.  That's just all I could stand!

They are on-ear so I have read some reviews that said they're fairly sensitive to placement, and I have tried different placements - even pressing them down onto my ears - but no real improvement.

Or is it a matter of them not being driven correctly?  I did simply run them off my Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard at first, but then also tried my Sony AV receiver and most recently my Denon M40 mini hi-fi system.  I can't say that they sound any better on any one of those though.

Or could there be possibly be something wrong with them?  How would one know?

And finally (and quite possibly!), could the fault lay with me?  Do I just not appreciate them?  ;D

Any opinions or suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks

Latest posts