Turntable upgrade

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

placebo

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have had a Micro Seiki BL51 since 1984.Over time the belts were unobtainable and although sending the turntable into a reputable HI FI shop in the year 2000 I was very disillusioned with its sound quality and performance.Understand by then I had my C85 preamplifier and M2 power amplifier with the DM 16 speakers stolen from me.I kept all my albums stored in a unused deepfreeze for about 10 years.These albums were purchased between 1978 and 1986 and where possible were imports.Three months ago surfing the web I discovered Croak and after much sparring with E Mails he agreed to meet me.He fitted a Rega RB301 arm to my Micro however I do admit I was not happy with the quality of the sound but then again my amp was not set up for a turntable but rather for CD or DVD.I purchased a RCM from Croak less snap crackle and pop however still not ideal.My Grado reference cartridge I broke and purchased a Sumiko Blue point 2 MC.Again not ideal as the phono stage of the amp could not handle a MC cartridge without running the amp up to a volume setting of 7 for normal listening levels.In desperation I requested last week a total rewire of the arm with superior counterweight.This was done with Cardas wiring etc.When I played my albums I noticed a far superior bass and top end and sound staging and volume levels required were less.Furthermore the snap crackle and pop was reduced substantially.I was now very happy the Micro sounded like the old days.My albums very enjoyable and they will far outplay a CD player with quality of sound.I also purchased an Edwards Audio MC1 phone stage but that is for another post.The point of the post deal with reputable people who know what they are doing with older equipment.