Which sporty daily driver?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

I always enjoyed speed ... as a youngster I only knew one speed - full speed.  Then kidsrrved and sporty 6-cylinder BMW's made way for 6-seaters and cars that can better 6l/100km.  Except for a badly misjudged stint with a Lotus 7 some years ago ... still gets thrown into every argument with :angrywife:

So last week we went go-karting at Zwartkops ... I did my best and set the fastest lap, missing the magical 60 second lap by a couple of tenths.  So I still have what it takes and I'm considering getting a sporty number as a third car ... this time wifey seems sort of on board (I thought she was last time too ... "do whatever you want to" clearly does not mean what I thought it did.)  The kids have voted and it must be an "afdak kar".  So it must be convertible, but with doors and windows this time, unlike the Lotus.  My other requirements are:

- Practical, safe and economical enough for a 50km backroad commute
- Reliable enough not to give large unexpected repair bills ... so no modifications and rules out AMG and M models
- Sporty enough for track-day fun every now and again
- Rear wheel drive, manual transmission
- Budget R 80 000 - 130 000 (150 000 absolute max).  Less is better here.

Shortlisted so far:

- Mazda MX-5 ... late Series 2 or early Series 3
- BMW Z4 (2.5 or 3.0) ... Z3 seems too soft
- Honda S2000 ... pricey and typically modified
- late 90's / early naughties SLK ... soft like Z3?

Which of these would you choose and why?  What other options should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Latest posts