Author Topic: Vintage Sony Amp toggle switch  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
Vintage Sony Amp toggle switch
« on: April 07, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
I have a lovely old - and great sounding - Sony amp. However, the on-off switch is broken.
It is an Alps toggle switch marked 3N and 514-965-12.
The first picture shows the blade-shaped lever that has broken: part D snapped off of part B at point C.
The outside small silver cylindrical knob pushes over part D.
Everything up to and including part B is present and works perfectly, by hand. There is just nowhere to fit the
(also missing) knob to.
I have though of changing it around for another "unused" toggle. I do not really want to do this, but, in any event, I can't, because part A of the switch is different (pin is 2x as long) as all the other toggle switches on this amp.
I have 3 questions:
1. Does anyone perhaps have a used spare to sell me?
2. Can this perhaps be repaired? As in "welding" a new part D onto part B? Has anyone ever done this?
3. Any other ideas?

The second picture shows a similar (but not the same) switch available on e-bay. Mainly included to show what an unbroken
"blade-shaped lever" looks like :-)

Thanks,
Johan

:help:

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Vintage Sony Amp toggle switch
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
Not welding, but brazing with ALu or brass rod should do it.
Other options: Pratley (white or metal) putty, Sika structural epoxy
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:06:05 PM »
Thanks, I will look into that.  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Online VS

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
I fashioned an extension to a broken slider stem by using some aluminium, cut to size using tin-snips. For mechanical strength, I cut the aluminium extension with two 'wings' that overlapped the portion of the existing pot stem (in your case, part B). The 'wings' were then tightly folded over the existing stem. Before folding, expoxy was applied. I haven't had issues since.

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »
Thanks, VS - that is exactly one of the options I have considered (the 2 wings folding over the existing blade).
Which epoxy have you used?
I am also thinking of making the (missing) knob and extension as one piece: a small piece of round aluminium tube, about 9-10mm diameter, and about 16 mm long. Then pinch about 5mm into a "flattened" bit that can be glued over the existing part B. I will ponder on this...  :thumbs:

Online VS

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
I can't remember the exact expoxy, but it was a Pratley that comes with two tubes that you mix the contents of. Fortunately for me, I had a replacement knob. The aluminium extension was somewhat thinner than the original stem, but I packed the slot of the plastic insert of the knob with another piece of aluminium stock to build up thickness before I slotted the knob onto the extended stem - almost no play resulted.

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
I can't remember the exact expoxy, but it was a Pratley that comes with two tubes that you mix the contents of. Fortunately for me, I had a replacement knob. The aluminium extension was somewhat thinner than the original stem, but I packed the slot of the plastic insert of the knob with another piece of aluminium stock to build up thickness before I slotted the knob onto the extended stem - almost no play resulted.

Thanks for this info, VS.  :thumbs:

Offline ALF

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 07:56:55 AM »
What is the amp model number because i have an old TA1010 that i can strip for parts in storage
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
What is the amp model number because i have an old TA1010 that i can strip for parts in storage

Hi Alf, it is a TA1130. The power switch looks very similar!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:39:28 AM »
If you go the VS way and the fit is tight, superglue might work better. But it does not like filling recesses.  I have in the past found Pratly mixed epoxy not to bond to metal that well. Just watch that the superglue does not get into any hinging parts; it is as thin as water and flows in everywhere.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline 1200GXman

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
I saw the other day that Bostik Superglue brought out a thicker one exactly for that problems you experienced Ampdog.
But I agree, maybe pratley steel will bond better to it? Just make sure everything is surgically clean before glueing.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline ALF

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »
I did PM two forums members in connection the stripping of my Sony TA1010 hope you received it, and yes I am willing to strip it. All is working fine just need a new power transformer and new bridge otherwise I lovely looking unit.
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 07:07:14 AM »
I did PM two forums members in connection the stripping of my Sony TA1010 hope you received it, and yes I am willing to strip it. All is working fine just need a new power transformer and new bridge otherwise I lovely looking unit.

PM received and replied, thanks Juan.
Thanks for all the other good advice, fellow Forumites

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
That entire arm looks like it can be /cloned from a suitable piece of metal...if the switch can be dismantled. The other thing I can suggest is that you could solder a piece of metal onto that end with a heavy duty soldering iron..provided no plastic is at risk of melting or better if the switch can be dismantled for this. Preparation of a suitable joint will be necessary..to fit like a puzzle piece or diagonal-cut joint so that there is support for the shearing forces, making this a stronger joint and less stress on the thick solder layer on either side which would be supporting lateral forces. I repair_soldered a broken key for a standard mortice house door lock and it lasted 20 years of daily use until I moved out of the house. Its probably still working. Good appropriate joint and preparation is important. Good luck with it Sir.

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »
Good luck with it Sir.

Thanks - I am getting the switch from Alf, and if that works, we are all good. If not, it is on to plan B / C / D...  :thumbs: