Author Topic: How dealers offload NOS  (Read 664 times)

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
How dealers offload NOS
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
I found this the other day in one of our large banks head office general meeting rooms.

There are about 30 of these rooms just in one area, so who knows how many of these are hiding unused in these buildings.

What a waste !

Another financial institution had over 30 Boston subs and a massive Rotel rack system in a small conference area used mainly for speech !!.

The mind boggles and I'm sure the big knob that signed this off has a really lekker setup at home...for free of course !

free photo
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
Re: How dealers offload NOS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
I got for free a set of Tannoy 12" dual concentric speakers in corner enclosures, a Leak Stereo 30, a Lenco turntable and about 100 LP records in 1976 when Safmarine moved from Lower Burg Street to the BP Centre.  They were all set to chuck the lot.  I also got 3 solid imbua executive desks, made in about 1935.  I still have one, incredibly heavy and gave one to the fellow who brought his lorry to town to help me transport the stuff.  Also a brand-new 2-drawer filing cabinet

The amp and speakers were just packed in the enormous strong room, only the accountant knew they were there and he knew I was an audio buff

Someone else took several 16mm projectors, a motorised screen (had glass beads glued to it) and several portable air-con units.  I think the accountant himself grabbed at least 45 4-drawer filing cabinets since was selling them for years after.  His garage in Bergvliet was absolutely full of them

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:26:52 PM »
I worked at Safcor in Selby for a few months .. no such luck 🙈
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »
I found this the other day in one of our large banks head office general meeting rooms.

There are about 30 of these rooms just in one area, so who knows how many of these are hiding unused in these buildings.
Check those other rooms. Especially if you can acquire any more of those Tascams. That would be the tipping point, that I get a cassette deck. Probably they were not used very much, so the heads and transports would be good.
#SPOTIFYMUSTFALL

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 07:15:19 PM »
I also spy a Rolls power amp. As in Rolls Bellari (the phono pres and head amps are decent and upwards of a few hundred dollars after the budget and good ones).
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
I am prepared to wager they were not in stock with the dealers but more likely the importer if they were. 

Also, these installs are often put out to tender with a spec written by an independent expert. 

Once the spec is written it often gets duplicated over and over again.

On the Tascam side.   I think Tascam made in the last 15 or so years isn't even close to the stuff before. The exteriors look brute.  The insides don't. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »
Having googled the Rolls model, looks like  :cr@p: for conference rooms.  So they make money from those...
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Rolls brand is  :cr@p:. They make cheap mixers for the TV industry.

Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.