Author Topic: Local techs and contacts  (Read 1453 times)

Offline King_Julian_S

Local techs and contacts
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »
Hi all...

Maybe a sticky ?

I have my one Old Nak now standing for about two years as I cannot find a local tech that seems to be interested to help me fix or anyone that have the right measure tools to align the heads to spec etc etc.. or anyone that don't seem to tell you upfront that it will costs many thousands.
same with my Sony RTR ...

So maybe a good idea to share contacts of people who love working on tapes and can actually fix them
Properly ?

I'd like to give my two nak cassette decks and the two RTR's a good makeover ..
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline King_Julian_S

Re: Local techs and contacts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »
Nothing ?
Shoo .. I must maar keep them till they give up the ghost and dump them.
I suspected that owning a tape deck locally is perhaps not for the faint hearted or those that are not techies themselves...

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »
Bring it down here and i'll point you at the guy.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
Eish that's durbs  :roll:

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
Bring it down here and i'll point you at the guy.

Point people anyway? It may be of use to some of us.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline christempler

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »
I use Dewald   ghostinthemachine

He has done a couple of decks for me and as usual his work is superb! Plus he actually knows tape
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »
Thanks Chris ... will try him again. Last we chat I was understanding that he does not like the home type machines   More the big industrial type stuff or something like that..

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:55:43 AM »
Dewald confirmed , does not touch tape decks....

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »
Techies are worth their price.  Most work 10-12 hour days 6 days a week to maintain something we would call middle class.
They have to maintain 10s of thousands worth of test gear and spend a lot of time educating themselves to stay up to date. Another heap of time spent sourcing parts. 
They don't charge those hours. 
So I guess when the opening line is along the line of "don't want to pay too much" those techs that are doing their 65+ hour weeks aren't exactly going to put up their hand if they read this.

Just my 2c. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 07:07:15 AM »
Yip that's basically the feedback I've been getting.
One must therefore be willing to pay say between 5-10k to have tapedeck completely done...
guess I must maar just let some of these gather dust and use the lx5 in my case as is....

But nice to know and have an idea on costs ...
this is a good lesson for me to not buy crappy gear and tape decks anymore 🙈 ... Unless I can do it myself just not gonna be worth it.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Local techs and contacts
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
5k seems excessive. 

About a year or two ago I arranged a Nak to be serviced.  The customer imported a service kit and my friend fitted all the bits  and did set up.   Cost was mild but then the "time wasting" was eliminated with providing him with a kit.

This is becoming a more viable approach these days.  I have the same issue.  To buy a belt from say Jico in town I spend 2 plus hours of my day driving, waiting, matching the belt getting stuck in traffic etc.

What to charge? The other work just waits?

So on these odd bits I am quite happy to provide the labour and tools and allow the customer to procure some of the items in his free time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:44:23 AM by Hi-Phibian »
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »
Tx G... noted

Offline Hilton

Ciao

Hilton

Offline Rick

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
I saw the AES advertised, looks like a possibility, cost, not sure.

After working on my own Naks and paying great attention to getting it right, I have a RX-202 / 670ZX and a CR-3 I don't blame techs at all for not wanting to touch them..... ever!

You start with one fault and by the time you are finished servicing another 5 faults show up out of the blue because they are old and delicate mostly mechanical works of art. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic machines but when they have been standing they are problematic to a tech. With the Naks we have the dreaded orange cap disease which wreaks havoc in the first 5 hours after switch on - if its been standing.

Then you have to clean it like nothing else get half drunk on the fumes of the wrong type of alcohol, then go online, hunt down and order belts and special oils at a silly cost and finally get around 3 weeks later to adjusting zenith, height, wrap, azimuth and auto azimuth that wont behave for both the separate playback and recording heads, and if you are really serious you need some magnetic development dye that you put on a tape to check the alignment patterns, and probably start all over again, and get it one step closer at a time.

Then you need R3K worth of new test tapes (because the old ones are not always good) some demagnetizing technique and some unobtainable custom Nak alignment jig things. Once you have got this far (making a plan because you don't have the jigs) then you adjust about 20 potentiometers exactly according to the manual because they are always out with age (time consuming like crazy and intensive), measure frequencies for Bias, tape erase and whatever else and adjust that too, in the exact order the manual tells you to. Once you are done with that then you find yourself looking at Lissajous patterns on a scope (Just to be sure) you did not do any steps wrong, you then discover the machine is actually worn or all the components have drifted and it was all in vain. I would not want to try actually explain this to a customer.

OR

Now the thing should sound really nice, far more so than cassette tape should be allowed to, because these are special machines! However at this point you never ever want to open another tape deck again.

I also have this fascination with some of the amazing machines they made in the late 80's early 90's, but its turning out not so worth the time it takes even if you are able to do the work yourself.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:27:47 PM by Rick »

Offline Hilton

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
He quite reasonable actually...carries some spare boards etc for the Revox gear...so often he is able to simply swap out any offending part for you.
Ciao

Hilton