Car audio advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaptein oubaas

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I'm replacing a double din head-unit and amp in my Navara bakkie. Double din compulsory as that would be the only thing fitting in the hole the thieves left ... :be:
I have (I think) a JBL split system upfront, 2xfull range back and compact sub (amp still intact) at the back.
I'm leaning toward Alpine, + Alpine/phoenix gold/Polkaudio amp (preferably A/B); due to all round sound quality. Questions:
1. Should I invest in a higher level 2 Din, or a higher level 4 channel amp? Or should I split my budget between the two?
2. Am I moving in the right direction with Alpine? For home stereo I'm quite satisfied warm with NAD sound.
3. Are the lower end amps (Targe, Satrsound, ICE etc) really THAT bad? I see a lot of guys with very expensive cd players and drivers opting for these cheapies.
4. What power should I be looking for? Most players come with a 50x4 watt (4ohm) Mosfet output - would it be a waste to have a 4x50 w (4ohm) amp?
5. Budget around R10K - any suggestions?

PS will not mind taking second hand equip from a forumite ...