Author Topic: dan patlansky & guy buttery  (Read 1050 times)

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
dan patlansky & guy buttery
« on: March 26, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »

saw the two of them a klitsgras last night - it's a great venue.
we got there early & watched the sound check, & some rehearsal / arrangements of the songs they were planning to do together. fascinating to watch how knowledgeable they bot are, & how they relate to each other.
we had great seats 2nd row center, right in the "sweet spot"
guy is an awesome act to watch. plays with so much passion & insight. and he is such a friendly and approachable guy  - happy to stand & chat when  we asked him for photos etc.
dan was also very friendly & approachable, and i thought it was very cool when he remembered me from the days when he was starting out at steak & ale..
his set was just absolutely superb. he was in top form & played so, so well. he had an acoustic guitar - but really he just played it like an electric, using lots of effects & soloing.
highlight of the night was his version of "superstition" - started out as a full on funk song (i have never heard him play funk before - he really did a great job), then moved into a blues rock / stevie ray vaughn style
i have seen dan play many, many times. i think this was probably the best show of his i have seen.
there were cameras there, and they were recording it at the sound board - really hope it will be released

some pics:

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
Re: dan patlansky & guy buttery
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
Damn Ron,this musta been SUPER special!!  :envy:
Two guys worthy of performing anywhere in the world,in front of any crowd,no matter WHO they've seen.

btw,where is Klitsgras..?
I've only seen the two at Die Boer in Durbanville,a really nice venue for acoustics. Not on the same night,tho...  :envy:
Have also seen Dan a few times,and it's amazing how the dude just keeps on getting better!  :notworthy:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline raj

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • trying to get over my obsession!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
really was a spectacular evening..great synergy and consummate ease..
Klitsgras is in PTA east..beautiful vibe..
"My advice is don't spend your money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." Wim Wenders

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
you #&^*^Y$^&*$^%&% bastardos...thx for the heads up :ticked:
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
Jealousy! That would have been an amazing show.
It's only hifi people....

Offline JayMac

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 04:44:33 PM »

+100!

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 08:38:31 PM »

sorry - just never occurred to me for some reason.   :cleansound: :cleansound:
i am also in trouble with friends & family for not giving them the heads up..

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline raj

• AVForums Member
  • trying to get over my obsession!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »

wow same here guys..i assumed his info was out there..my apologies..def put the heads up..'ell we could even have a drink there!!
"My advice is don't spend your money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." Wim Wenders

Offline grant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
I am VERY sorry I missed this too. Being based very far away from Gauteng didn't make attending this concert an option for me but I did however see the video they released together to promote the show. Here's hoping they do more gigs together again soon. What an incredible duo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt3zz0ygw34

I also totally feel in love with Guy's last solo release which I picked up on vinyl from Bandcamp. I think there are still copies available it seems. https://guybuttery.bandcamp.com/

Offline leonpjhb

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »
Very cool show indeed! We were also sat down in the middle towards the back of the "sandpit".

I liked the sound setup, very intimate in a way and not that typical loud big concert sound.

I have seen both these gentlemen performing seperately and my oh my, when I heard that they were performing together I cancelled all other plans for that weekend!

The only pity was loud drunk people right at the back that detracted from psychology me of the very subtle details n the show.

All in all great!

saw the two of them a klitsgras last night - it's a great venue.
we got there early & watched the sound check, & some rehearsal / arrangements of the songs they were planning to do together. fascinating to watch how knowledgeable they bot are, & how they relate to each other.
we had great seats 2nd row center, right in the "sweet spot"
guy is an awesome act to watch. plays with so much passion & insight. and he is such a friendly and approachable guy  - happy to stand & chat when  we asked him for photos etc.
dan was also very friendly & approachable, and i thought it was very cool when he remembered me from the days when he was starting out at steak & ale..
his set was just absolutely superb. he was in top form & played so, so well. he had an acoustic guitar - but really he just played it like an electric, using lots of effects & soloing.
highlight of the night was his version of "superstition" - started out as a full on funk song (i have never heard him play funk before - he really did a great job), then moved into a blues rock / stevie ray vaughn style
i have seen dan play many, many times. i think this was probably the best show of his i have seen.
there were cameras there, and they were recording it at the sound board - really hope it will be released