Author Topic: 38W x 2 stereo amplifiers  (Read 8199 times)

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: 38W x 2 stereo amplifiers
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2018, 07:00:09 AM »
How do these compare to say a run-of-the-mil DENON  micro-system < R8k ?

The compare like a cheap no-name Chinese car would compare to a Mercedes Benz.

Offline PsyCLown

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »
How do these compare to say a run-of-the-mil DENON  micro-system < R8k ?

You can get some, IMO, well priced and pretty high powered Class D boards & an SMPS PSU to power it for a very reasonable price and that will sound better than your run of the mil AVR... Or so many have claimed.

I am in the process of getting some LJM L15D amp boards, these are based off the IRS2092 chip and many have said it sounds really good. One guy in particular had a mid-range Onkyo AVR and says these are far better than his Onkyo unit.

2x mono amp boards & a SMPS to power it will set you back around $100 with shipping.
You should be able to get 150W into 8 ohm per channel roughly.

If you'd like, when I have mine build in the next month or two hopefully, we can meet up and you can have a listen. Perhaps even bring it over to your place to hear on your speakers - if you are in JHB?

If you are keen, drop me a PM.
AVR: Onkyo HT-R548
DSP: MiniDSP NanoAVR HDA & UMIK
Speakers:DIY Full Range Phillips AD12202
Sub: Energy S10.3 & DIY 12"
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 LE & Superlux HD681

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »
I'm completely aware that some "better" ones do exist, but they're definitely not of the R65 type that you buy from China and then you get a free enclosure and connectors with it :P

Offline PsyCLown

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
I'm completely aware that some "better" ones do exist, but they're definitely not of the R65 type that you buy from China and then you get a free enclosure and connectors with it :P

Oh yes, without a doubt.

I thought Rawoke might be interested in another DIY solution which could be better suited to what he would like :)

It all comes down to what you need / want. I have seen some nifty 2.1 channel amp boards with bluetooth and analogue inputs at a fair price.
As for the quality on that amp, I am not too sure but could make for a great portable system or desktop system.
AVR: Onkyo HT-R548
DSP: MiniDSP NanoAVR HDA & UMIK
Speakers:DIY Full Range Phillips AD12202
Sub: Energy S10.3 & DIY 12"
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 LE & Superlux HD681