Author Topic: Pono balanced  (Read 75 times)

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Pono balanced
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »

Pono Player with HD800 balanced cables. Cardas cable and connectors assembled by HiPhibian, excellent quality. Volume increased considerably, probably 2-3 times. It gets uncomfortable when turning the volume to max. It is very difficult to compare it to the normal unbalanced mode since the volume is so much higher. If I had to comment - I'd say that the bass and mids area bit more pronounced. Sound stage is wider. However, these probably are all a result of the volume increase. The music quality is faultless. It makes me wonder why I spent so much money on other equipment. I'll compare it to the Jotunheim + Jotty internal DAC or Vivere DAC combo when the Jotty arrives and send an update. Does anybody else have experience with Pono in balanced mode, what is your opinion?     

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Pono balanced
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
Cuco,

That is the very reasons why I recommended it.

The discrete output stage from Ayre is very capable.

Get a 4-pin to dual 3-pin (2 pins used) adapter and try it in your stereo system (line level output) if you have XLR pre/power inputs.

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
Cuco,

That is the very reasons why I recommended it.

The discrete output stage from Ayre is very capable.

Get a 4-pin to dual 3-pin (2 pins used) adapter and try it in your stereo system (line level output) if you have XLR pre/power inputs.

Hi Gavin, yes thanks.

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
My Pono Player sounds great in balanced mode as well... both on my HD650 and HD800S's.
However, the pace and impact of the bass, seems weaker than when I run them with my Onkyo Granbeat DP-CMX1 DAPhone...  also: the interface is better, ability to stream (Tidal HiFi, etc.) on WiFi & LTE, Bluetooth pairing with my smartphone for music control, etc., etc., make it a better device for me.

If you're around the Centurion area, pop by for our next headphone meet, and bring your HD800 along.. experience it for yourself.

Also, compared to my NOS11 & Pink Faun main system, the sound (instrument separation, texture & depth of bass, smoothness of MIDs, clarity of HFs, as well as overall detail and engagement) falls behind... and that distance increases when I put my Little Dot MK6+ head.amp into the mix, as it replaces the 'coldness' the solid-state amplification provides with the 'colour'/tone and warmth of the tube NOS 5691 RCA Red Base pre-amp tubes.  -- the reason is clear why I spent so much money on this 'other' equipment.

Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »
Wolvebain, thanks for your comments. Nice equipment you have. Yes, I agree 100% with what you say. In may case, specifially the chord mojo, run with Roon Labs at high sampling rate delivers tighter bass and clarity. However, this doesn't make the Pono less enjoyable :). The Pono feels less analytical.