Help: Building a set of bookshelf speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxxyc

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Let me start with this:

I've learned a lot over the past few weeks and I would like to thank all the members who assisted in making this exciting learning curve a reality.  In particular, @wolla, @dreamerm6 and information from the likes of @jimgore, @drnb and @scottulusmaximus.  I cannot thank you all enough for the efforts and time spent in explaining things to me, be it in person or with links to other places where very interesting information is given or with the favours you have granted me.  Thanks, really, I am in your debt!

Then, secondly:

I would like to apologize for talking a bit of crap in places on the forum.  When I get excited I tend to post more than I should and it seems to come across as annoying.  I am sorry and will remain more composed in the the future.

Finally, my reason for this thread:

I want to build a set of bookshelves in the near future.  This isn't a pipe dream and it's definitely going to happen - I will post a thread and everything.  The "party-speaker" type idea thing is out of the window - that was stupid and idiotic and I see that now.  I already have speakers incoming from a good member who will test them and then let me know when I can pick up my purchase.  I'm buying from him two cone tweeters, two 5.25" midbass drivers as well as pre-built crossovers, all from Sica in Italy.  I know it's not the world's best stuff, but it will suffice for my purposes.

So this thread aims to serve as a question base on where to start.  My aim is to build the set of bookshelves for under R1,500 (material cost only).  I'm thinking that I can make it at that cutoff since I have access to tools already and I've done my math.  I do have A TON of questions though, so I will start:

1.  I need to design the actual speaker enclosure.  Well, I need to and I really WANT to.  I've played with the T/S specs of the midbass drivers on many pieces of software and they all conclude that the driver needs a ported enclosure, about 10l in size.  That's not very large, so that's perfect.  I want to know though - what's the best software to use when I want to design the actual enclosure?  Is WinISD still a "thing" or are there better software bits that can help out with enclosure volume, port size and depth and all that?  Preferably free/online, as I don't want to spend too much money on something I might not use again...

2.  Should I separate the enclosure parts for the midbass driver and tweeter internally?  For example, seal off the 10l of the midbass from the tweeter with an insert inside the enclosure?

3.  MDF.  I was planning on using standard MDF (SupaWood type stuff), but I can't seem to find places that sell in quantities less than those 2.7m x 1.8m pieces.  That's WAY too much, I won't use that much in a long time, not to mention it won't fit in my car...  Can I buy smaller pieces from places like Builders Warehouse?  Also, will 15mm suffice or should I opt for 18mm?  15mm sides and 18mm front?  Help here will be greatly appreciated...  :)

4.  Sealing/filling the enclosure - I take it the enclosure should be sealed to prevent air leaking.  Can I just use standard silicone smeared tightly into the joints to seal it air tight?  Also, I see some people stick a type of acoustic foam in their enclosures.  Do I do it or not?  How do I determine if it's needed or not?

5.  Finishing the enclosure - Will a different external finish play a role?  I know people prefer painting or oiling the finish (oiling won't look nice with MDF I guess), and I see some stick a veneer finish on the outside even, but can I, for example, stick on a vinyl finish like this (purely for example): http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-accessories/carbon-fx-vinyl/black-carbon-nx-exterior-grade-2.html ?  What would be considered the "best" finish to put on the outside of the enclosure?

6.  Internal bracing - yay or nay?  I know WHY it is installed usually, but would it be needed on a ~40W midbass driver in a ported enclosure when using thick enough MDF?

I hope to get some information together so that I can start a GOOD build thread.  I will relay this information to that thread so that someone else can use it again - I hope...

Latest posts