Author Topic: What performance car and why  (Read 916 times)

Offline Moog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
What performance car and why
« on: March 18, 2017, 08:25:54 PM »
Yes folks. This topic belongs to a car forum but I am not a member of a car forum and I will raise my question right here . If you were to buy your ultimate performance car for R 3 million or  less which one would you choose? Although I can not afford to buy the cars listed below, I have test driven them but my opinions are largely based on car magazine reviews. My ultimate performance sports car choice is  the Porche 911 turbo S because of the following:

1) Mercedes Benz GTS: they always come up with cars with a best exhaust note (imho) and body style ) I also own an AMG but they  fall short in the handling department. Only good in a straight line although the new GTR has a good nurburibring time.
2) BMW ( I also own one) good in the handling department but was dismayed to see that in autotrader, the ultimate performance BMW, the M4 gts is going for up to R3m and on test achived a zero to 100 figure of 4 seconds in Gauteng.
3)The Ferrari California is beautiful to behold but is not as fast as a Porche 911 turbo S. The Ferrari California has better acceleration but costs much more.
4) The Audi R8 V10(with an asking price of up to R3 m)  plus or Lambo (with an asking price of up to R6m) look fantastic but here in Gauteng, both having  naturally  aspirated engines  lose out on acceleration because of power loss issues at altitude. Qouted acceleration figure in Gauteng are 3.5 for the Audi and 3.3 for the Lambo.
5)The Nissan GTR 2017 model , despite being AWD and therefore adaptable for all road conditions is said to be rough in the comfort department.
6) Jags: nice body style and sound but still fall behind Porche in outright accelation.
7) McLaren: not bad but just as a Lambo you expect to pay twice the price of a Porche 911 Turbo S.

The Porche 911 claim and 0 to 100 time of 3.1 seconds and for some actual road tests has performed better than this, in some cases achieving a time of 2.7 seconds with an average fuel consumption of 9.9 litres per 100 km, a few seconds slower that the Porche 918. I do not have a relationship with Porche but I am a performance car enthusiast.

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: What performance car and why
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
Fully agree with you on the Turbo S.

And try this with other cars ... 50 times in a row with hardly any variance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:51:37 PM »
Cousin in England has had many performance cars, from Jensen Interceptor, Golf VR6 and now has a Tesla model S. Performance easily beats all others.  Price in June last year was £70000

Online Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »
From your list my picks: 1. Porsche Turbo (I would prefer the non 'S') 2. R8 V10 'Plus' 3. GTR
GTR used to be my dream car, until I realised 2 weeks ago that the 2017 is overpriced in SA. I believe it might be the more costly to maintain out of the 3 too, also the slowest??   
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
Only logically choice is either a Lotus Exige 2013 S or Lotus 3-Eleven (road or track -  460HP, 0-100:2.9s)

You will need to "a half sized human" to fit in the Exige and it may not be the ideal road car but it is the best handling i.m.o.

For the ultimate the Lotus 3-Eleven (track)...

I reckon saying what car/s you currently drive can add weight to what you name as your "ideal" performance car.

current drive : Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy...

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:39:51 PM by gavinbirss »

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »
This will be my choice......Red turns me on :thumbs:

http://bit.ly/2mzZ8oV
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline AdrianDeLau

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
Porsche all the way. Because you can drive it everyday.

Then again theres always a city golf 4 cyl turbo thats faster. Lol

Personally i would go for a audi rs6 v10 twin turbo.
Comfort and performance in one.
And you can fit the golf clubs in the boot with space to spare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fuz940510

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
I'm biased, as i'm currently driving a Nissan 350Z and loving every moment. First instinct says GTR, and the 2017 model is supposedly a lot less harsh in terms of ride quality. The Japanese market sees coffin nail hard suspension as being the solution, however that is not always the case.

However, i think that the less electronic intervention in a car and the more feedback from engine, chassis and tyres the better.

If the option includes some non-standard cars, i'd go for something like this: https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/ND.php
Chevrolet LS3 in a Mazda MX5 ND chassis. Weight distribution is hardly affected, and you get 322kw. 0-60(mph) in 3.5 seconds in a car you can drive all day, plus all of the MX5 goodness

If you're talking totally stock, off the showroom floor, i think the Porsche would probably take it out of your choices
If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 02:56:23 AM »
When you say "ultimate performance car", what usage do you have in mind? Track driving? Racing? Back road thrashing? Will you actually use it to the limits you quote? Do you have the skill? It seems cars are at their best when tuned/designed for a specific purpose.

What I have noticed is that car enthusiasts who are able to afford it often change their cars and enjoy what they have for a while before sampling another. Just looking at the habits of this niche group of users, one gets the feeling that there is no one ultimate car.

As for car suggestions, it looks like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio should also be on your short list.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
If performance is measured by accelleration, then the Tesla model S P85D comes out in front.  0-100km in 2.6 seconds, 0-140km in 4 seconds.  Completely silent, except for tyre noise and wind.  There are over 300 charging stations in England.  So far, the car has done 22000 miles and nothing has gone wrong.  There are no servicing intervals, the firmware can be upgraded via wi-fi.

It does not make the same sound as a Ferrari, but it is 2017 and this is the future of automobiles, of that there is no doubt.  It has "autopilot" as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dqjx_IjODc
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:29:49 AM by chrisc »

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
Ive had dragsters that do 0-290kph in 7 seconds .. they couldnt turn corners or stop without a parachute... acceleration times sometimes dont tell you the whole story
Roon/tidal > SBT>DIRAC ddrc 22 > 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1's ..fully treated room

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »

I believe that Tesla and that Porshe will be very close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuqcqoEn5co

In this race it's a non S ... pulls off late ... no launch ... and he's still catching the whole way. And he can do it over and over and over. I think using a Tesla down a drag strip means (literally) a few runs before the batteries are out.

Would be interesting to see a real dice with an S and launch though.

EDIT : Man, I Must say that Tesla is quick! You have been watching a whole bunch of YouTube videos ... it's insane
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:45:11 AM by Dolby »

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »

as an all rounder, every day plus performance car the porsche i would think is probably tops.
it may not have the flash of a ferrari or lambo, but i think would be a lot more usable day to day, as well as the occasional track day.
i've seen the guys in the porsche club, doing the track days / time trial series, and just sticking to regular servicing intervals, with the exception of additional oil changes. no issues at all.
tesla may be very fast on acceleration, i haven't heard anyone bragging about the handling though.

practicality aside -i think gavinbirss is correct -  i would have one of those lotus 311s in a flash (if i could fit in it), though i would probably want the road version. what a stunner.   :pray: :pray:

tetris is a great life lesson.
accomplishments disappear. mistakes pile up till it's game over....

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
Tesla advertise it as a "Family SUV"