What performance car and why

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Yes folks. This topic belongs to a car forum but I am not a member of a car forum and I will raise my question right here . If you were to buy your ultimate performance car for R 3 million or  less which one would you choose? Although I can not afford to buy the cars listed below, I have test driven them but my opinions are largely based on car magazine reviews. My ultimate performance sports car choice is  the Porche 911 turbo S because of the following:

1) Mercedes Benz GTS: they always come up with cars with a best exhaust note (imho) and body style ) I also own an AMG but they  fall short in the handling department. Only good in a straight line although the new GTR has a good nurburibring time.
2) BMW ( I also own one) good in the handling department but was dismayed to see that in autotrader, the ultimate performance BMW, the M4 gts is going for up to R3m and on test achived a zero to 100 figure of 4 seconds in Gauteng.
3)The Ferrari California is beautiful to behold but is not as fast as a Porche 911 turbo S. The Ferrari California has better acceleration but costs much more.
4) The Audi R8 V10(with an asking price of up to R3 m)  plus or Lambo (with an asking price of up to R6m) look fantastic but here in Gauteng, both having  naturally  aspirated engines  lose out on acceleration because of power loss issues at altitude. Qouted acceleration figure in Gauteng are 3.5 for the Audi and 3.3 for the Lambo.
5)The Nissan GTR 2017 model , despite being AWD and therefore adaptable for all road conditions is said to be rough in the comfort department.
6) Jags: nice body style and sound but still fall behind Porche in outright accelation.
7) McLaren: not bad but just as a Lambo you expect to pay twice the price of a Porche 911 Turbo S.

The Porche 911 claim and 0 to 100 time of 3.1 seconds and for some actual road tests has performed better than this, in some cases achieving a time of 2.7 seconds with an average fuel consumption of 9.9 litres per 100 km, a few seconds slower that the Porche 918. I do not have a relationship with Porche but I am a performance car enthusiast.