Author Topic: House renovations - and what is reasonable?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline xrapidx

House renovations - and what is reasonable?
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
I asked in a thread on mybroadband - thought I'd try here as well - I can't get enough information on this before making the difficult decision.

I've been planning on renovating our kitchen for sometime - saved what I thought was enough, and it turned out to be about 5/8ths of the cost.

I bought the house in 2009 for R1.6m. The kitchen is horrendous melamine cupboards and counters, it shares a space with a dining room with an indoor braai which has leaked and caused quite a bit of damage to the kitchen wall over the past few years...  (even though I paid a small fortune to have the leaks fixed - they still leak).

We're finally getting to a final amount for the kitchen, a basic rundown of what we're doing.
1.) Remove indoor braai - and the wall its built into to create one large dining room + kitchen.
2.) Beam in ceiling to support roof trusses where braai has been removed.
3.) New sheeting on roof
4.) Brand new cupboards and engineered stone tops (incl a 4m center island)
5.) Redo all ellectrical in kitchen and move DB board to garage
6.) Redo all plumbing in kitchen - new plumbing all the way to the geyser
7.) Tiling in kitchen/dining room/lounge (85m2)
8.) Replace 2m window with 2.4m stacking door in dining room.
9.) Remove alarm in area, re-do alarm once done (incl new panel)
10.) New garage side door as we're removing the existing one.

I am currently sitting on the following cost estimate

Building/Wet work/Kitchen/Roofing (Builders Cost)   259,000
Tiles (85m2)   35,000
Garage Side Door   4,000
Stacking Door   13,500
Taps/Sink   5,000
Lighting   5,000
Kitchen Accessories   15,000
Alarm   6,000
Paint   1,000

Outstanding   343,500

I'm worried I might be spending too much - we plan on staying in the house for about another 7 years - and I'm fairly confident I'll get most of the R350k odd back if we sell.

Here is the actual plan:

Offline Scrat

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
Re: House renovations - and what is reasonable?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »
Hard to tell as your biggest cost (building/wetwork/kitchen) is not broken down. Aggregate costs are a convenient way by contractors to hide costs. Recently had kitchen redone (still in the process actually), and when I requested a cost breakdown I was being charged R500 for every downlight installation, of which there were 8 planned. How about "no"...

No indication of size either. Your tiling cost seems a bit high, at 85sq/m comes to R437 sq/m. Taking into account a tiler should be doing work for R80 sq/m, those are some expensive tiles?
It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »
Yeh - the large cost is the actual builders quote for all building/plumbing/electrical/etc - the individual items are the things I need to buy - installation there-of is for the builders account.

RE: Tiles, R350/m2 for the floor tiles - R220/m2 for the splash back tiles. The price includes the "installation". These are my actual prices after pricing tiles this weekend. There is a cheaper option at R150/m2 for floor tiles if we decide to save here.

Again, same with the lighting - I buy the lights, I set a budget of R5000 - the installation and electrical work is included in the builders charge.

We got a quote last year for a kitchen to replace our existing layout - that was R90,000 just for the joinery and tops - no building, plumbing, etc.

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
25% of your house cost on a kitchen is a lot. apart from which , in 7-10 years time the kitchen is already outdated .. but then again , its for your benefit in those years

Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:00:26 AM »
Yeh - I know - I now know why the house as two indoor braais - I think when the previous owners renovated they got a similiar quote for removing the one braai.

I should be able to sell the house  for approximately 3m once the kitchen is compete based on the previous banks valuation in 2014 (2.7-8m).

I've struggled with the amount for awhile now - and I keep coming back to the fact that people at my "financial/income" level spend almost double that on cars these days (I'd love a fancy car, but my vehicles combined aren't over R200k)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:02:40 AM by xrapidx »

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »
What about financing it with a bond ..adding onto your existing bond?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
What about financing it with a bond ..adding onto your existing bond?

Short about R160k at the moment - after we replace some of the appliances... I might go the personal loan route over 12-24 months. I was going to add it to my existing bond - but its a crap load of paperwork... then tried a building loan, and again, a ton of paperwork - and they'll only pay once the job is complete. (not sure how many builders will work with zero deposit).

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »
add at least 25% to what you think the job will cost to get  real price.. say 400k
amortised over 7 years it will cost you R6k a month "extra" to do the kitchen , and you will get part of that back..at least 1/2 of what you spent. would you pay an extra R3k a month rent for your house if it had the kitchen of your dreams .. thats what it boils down to .. your new kitchen will cost you R100 a day!!!

Offline vleisman

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »
Without knowing the area, house or any other details, my gut feel is that you're looking at spending too much for just the kitchen. I'd get more quotes, opinions and explore other options. You can do a hell of a lot with around 400k

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
Yeh..R100k on the kitchen and R300k to build the new 35sq meter hifi room....

Offline 1200GXman

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
If you lived in Bloem I could have given you a business number that could help you cheaper than that prices with top quality.
http://domesticimpro.co.za/
My wife works here. They have worked for high level people here in town.

We are in the same boat as you with the kitchen. Kitchens and bathrooms are the most expensive parts of a house.
Wood is extremely expensive and then labour is added ontop.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier