Author Topic: Cape Town city council going from bad to worse?  (Read 261 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
Cape Town city council going from bad to worse?
« on: March 17, 2017, 02:17:45 PM »
There have been numerous complaints aired on Cape Talk about the stringent requirements applied to customers wishing to renew their car licences.  Either due to disinterest, stupidity, negligence or plain apathy, the requirements differ between council payment offices.  There is little consistency.  Some need new FICA documents each time, even within the same year, others turn down a Telkom or mobile phone company invoice as proof of address, the (new) card payment system goes off line and your 75 min wait in the queue is fruitless.  Even on-line, as I discovered, you cannot apply to renew two cars that have the same licence expiry at the same time, even though they are on the same profile.  The actual office that send out payment instructions do not take phone calls

The worst one I have experienced recently is getting electricity re-connected to a house I have renovated.  Power was cut in July 2016 and the electricity department guys actually came around and snipped the 4 wires from the pole.  Upon applying for a connection, I am told that there is R12300 odd outstanding for arrears for a supply between July and 1st March (no invoices were received).  Telling them it is not possible since the wires were cut and quoting the (council) work order number cut no ice.  The bolshy supervisor told me it is incumbent on me to prove that there has been no connection.  They will send out an inspector to verify it, on payment of a R1750 fee.  I paid this on 3rd March and am still waiting.  In the meantime, the builder and other contractors cannot continue

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Cape Town city council going from bad to worse?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33:04 PM »
Catching up with Jozi then?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Online skollie

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
I saw this coming several years ago. Power corrupts etc etc

The rot started at the top (the head) and has almost reached the tail. I picked up something about 'the head' in an obituary (of all places!) in last Sunday's Sunday Times.

I'm not sure if you saw it but the hands currently holding the city's reins are not very clean.

skollie 
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »
Go and live in JHB or DBN for a year and you'll sing a different tune
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
^^^Exactly what I was thinking, thought the ducks arse were in charge down there.  We've had Fuhrer Sutcliffe and the ANC, now we have an unknown and the ANC.  Our billing systems work on occasion, the municipality seemingly pull numbers out their backsides for rates and we get charged more than most?
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Trouble is, they used to be so good.  Then, new systems were introduced, some "tightening" of security took place and you could not get a straight answer to a simple query unless your bona-fides were triple-checked. 

I look after several properties for people who live overseas and about a year ago, stopped receiving rates accounts by email.  Council insisted the owner had to appear in person to allow them to email me these accounts.  After messing about for 3 months, I got to see someone in charge and pointed out the stupidity of this requirement. 

They just promulgate rules without thinking them through

Offline d0dja

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
After 11 years in ct and now 5 in jhb, I find jhb sometimes trying but generally fairly on top of binge. Cape Town? Jayzuz. Just spent weeks trying to get a ct vehicle registration renewed.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
I look after several properties for people who live overseas and about a year ago, stopped receiving rates accounts by email.  Council insisted the owner had to appear in person to allow them to email me these accounts.  After messing about for 3 months, I got to see someone in charge and pointed out the stupidity of this requirement. 

They just promulgate rules without thinking them through
You don't want to try pay an account that's not in your name in Oz if you don't know what's outstanding.  I'll never forget trying to settle a utility bill for a property we moved out of whilst my wife was here on holiday.  The numnuts wanted my wife to call them and pay it from SA...never mind the time zone differences.  Assholes.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
Good news, the inspector is meeting me this morning and we will see what transpires.  He seemed to think I was "Mr Plaatjies" so something peculiar is going on

Offline tangmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »
Some need new FICA documents each time, even within the same year, others turn down a Telkom or mobile phone company invoice as proof of address, the (new) card payment system goes off line and your 75 min wait in the queue is fruitless.  Even on-line, as I discovered, you cannot apply to renew two cars that have the same licence expiry at the same time, even though they are on the same profile.  The actual office that send out payment instructions do not take phone calls

Are you sure about this?

I applied online for 2 vehicles that needs licence renewal on the same date. One is in my name and the other in my wifes name.

Received email 2 weeks later that they need proof of address and a form filled in.

I printed 2 forms and had my wife filled in hers and me mine and emailed both.

I phoned the department 2 times through this process and got through very quickly to very helpful people.
Their reasons for the slowness was obviously " there is a back log".

But received another email with total amount to be paid split up into one for each vehicle.

waiting on post office now...

2 phone calls and 4 weeks for the process still is time better spent than in a queue in my books.

Or does the above simply prove that there is inconsistency?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Very simple resolution in the end.  Council had duplicated the meter number and the one for which R12462.50 is outstanding belongs to a Mr V Plaatjies in Heideveld.  There is yet no meter in the renovated house and the wires are hanging from the pole.  I have no idea what the old meter number was since this was removed in July by Council electricity dept

I told this fellow that due to Council's errors and tardiness in resolving this, R14000 was due to contractors who were unable to complete, and loss of profits since the house is 4 weeks behind and a new owner from Denmark is supposed to move in on 31st March, so they will have to stay in their B&B a bit longer.  Apparently Council have public liability insurance to cover stuff-ups like this.  More battles coming, I am sure of it

I asked him why the clerical staff could not figure out for themselves that a house in Heideveld could not be associated with a house in Claremont and he said they are unable to take decisions on their own.  A feeble excuse I thought

Online skollie

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 12:16:07 PM »
It's an abomination to call that rat's nest "council" without the "the". It gives them an undeserved status above Joe and Jane Public who pay their salaries and perks.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
The senior inspector who came was a very polite fellow.  He said he had figured what went wrong before he arrived at the house.  He also volunteered to pay for the out of pocket expenses and said that he would organise the electrical connection for me, I would not have to do anything

Apparently today, for a new connection, they want a R2000 deposit, but this will be waived.  I already pay council charges for several houses and flats, and he must have looked up my profile and not found anything lacking

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
Another example of Council muddled thinking:  I have a 3 bedroomed house in the Main Road in Plumstead, owned since 2014.  Yesterday I received a demand from Council to pay them R 117600 in "arrears".  They decided that this house is in fact a block of flats, and therefore the sewerage is charged at a higher rate.  Houses are rated at a certain amount free, next step at R12,26/kl and then R24,10/kl.  Flats pay a fixed rate of R17,79/kl, based on 70% of the water useage

Another inspector will have to go around.  All I can say is that it keeps these people employed, if not meaningfully