Author Topic: vinshineaudio 20-bit R2R for $598 and more later  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: vinshineaudio 20-bit R2R for $598 and more later
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »
Its a big jump from $598 to $3980, almost 7 times the price and the website is vague and all the specs sound similar
Reminds me of another with more "levels" than forum members have undies.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
it definitely seems promising since they say that this model is about on par with a Bimby (Schiit Audio Bifrost Multibit) and some people find it more musical but with less micro detail than more expensive delta sigma models ... so if you are a detail junkie then this might not be the solution for you but if you want musicality above all else then maybe you might enjoy this
If you want both at a good price get a Soekris.

personally i prefer an analytical sound with oodles of micro detail so maybe thats why i like the ESS9018 based Delta-Sigma Vivere so much ... and possibly i may not really like this R2R stuff but realistically maybe i need to really hear it before making a conclusion
I think Gert took the Viv as far as it could be taken iro details without the harshness.  I've never found the Viv to have any digital glare and/or slight top end harshness of the typical Delta-Sigma models...until I A/B'd with R2R, at which point it becomes evident.  R2R has a more organic/smoother sound than Delta-Sigma, but needn't sacrifice detail.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
Def organic.  Without a doubt  That is the PC word today.  I mean you get Organic at Woolies, at expensive "craft shops" in Noordhoek, the Tokai Natural Food market, where the honey is twice the price

I don't want to sacrifice detail
I don't want to sacrifice musicality

Why cannot this DAC do it all, or do I have to consider the $3980 version, which at Friday's advantageous exchange rate, is R51740 + shipping, VAT, etc (so not much change from R70k)?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
^^^ maybe it will. I know the Soekris does.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »
If you want both at a good price get a Soekris.

the problem for me is that a Soekris is a DIY thing .... i would prefer to get a fully built item ie my soldering skills are okay but not good enough to build my my own DIY electronics unless its a pretty basic passive crossover or something like that

Def organic.  Without a doubt  That is the PC word today.  I mean you get Organic at Woolies, at expensive "craft shops" in Noordhoek, the Tokai Natural Food market, where the honey is twice the price

I don't want to sacrifice detail
I don't want to sacrifice musicality

Why cannot this DAC do it all, or do I have to consider the $3980 version, which at Friday's advantageous exchange rate, is R51740 + shipping, VAT, etc (so not much change from R70k)?

im sure you dont need to go all the way to the top of the range .... besides at that price you should rather then go for the Schiit Yggdrasil that Evan has - since thats a comparatively affordable at $2299 - i think he said that his landed him at around R45k all in so for that level of high end sound you cant go wrong with the Yggdrasil IMHO

the guys who need to make trade-offs are the guys at the lower end of the budget scale ie if you dont want to exceed spending R10k to R12k there will obviously be some sort of compromise

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
@naughty: Have you considered the 'Soekris ApS dac1101 - USB Powered DAC/Headamp Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC' instead?
Link: http://soekris.com/products/audio-products/soekris-aps-dac1101.html
Link: http://soekris.eu/shop/dac_modules_consumer_line/dac1101_usb_powered_dac/headamp_discrete_r_2r_sign_magnitude_d_en.html

I'm looking at it for my office set-up, just looking for a small form factor head.amp that's capable of driving something like the Z1R without effort.
It's not fully balanced, but close to this price range is.
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Online gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »
Putting a Soekris DAM1021 together is not difficult.
A powersupply and source is needed

2 transformer secondaries 7-8V AC or DC (bipolar)
3.3V supply for i2s/Soekris
3 i2s signal wires + ground or optical, Coax receiver
I2S chipset or source

A minimum of 10 wires for power and source signal

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 11:28:03 PM »
@naughty: Have you considered the 'Soekris ApS dac1101 - USB Powered DAC/Headamp Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC' instead?
Link: http://soekris.com/products/audio-products/soekris-aps-dac1101.html
Link: http://soekris.eu/shop/dac_modules_consumer_line/dac1101_usb_powered_dac/headamp_discrete_r_2r_sign_magnitude_d_en.html

I'm looking at it for my office set-up, just looking for a small form factor head.amp that's capable of driving something like the Z1R without effort.
It's not fully balanced, but close to this price range is.

not gonna go portable for my next DAC because now im using a portable for my fixed installation ie a Nuprime uDSD - and portable is not my thing so as a portable head/amp the uDSD is perfect for my HD595 modded to HD598, and for temporary as my fixed install DAC as well (until i can get myself the type of fixed installation DAC that im after)

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »
@naughty: The 'Soekris ApS dac1101 - USB Powered DAC/Headamp Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC' is not "portable" per say, but small enuff to pop in my bag, with it's wall-wart power supply...  from what I've read, it's not perfect, but it will certainly blow the nuprime uDSD away easily.

Alternatively, the 'The Soekris dam1121 discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC - small OEM module with absolute highest sound quality' is an option, as it seems an easier set up than that of the DAM1021.
Perhaps something like the I2SoverUSB module from jlsounds.com as the source, and a regulated linear wall-wart power supply.

Fight the war...

Offline naughty

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 11:52:54 PM »
@naughty: The 'Soekris ApS dac1101 - USB Powered DAC/Headamp Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC' is not "portable" per say, but small enuff to pop in my bag, with it's wall-wart power supply...  from what I've read, it's not perfect, but it will certainly blow the nuprime uDSD away easily

no disputing any of this but im after something that will rival or better the type of performance i would get from a Vivere .... so i reckon im setting my sights a bit higher even if i have to wait and save for a bit longer (im patient like that) but im looking and considering every option i find inbetween so im not totally ruling the Soekris stuff out altogether  :thumbs:

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 01:02:53 AM »
That you have got to listen to the Audio GD NOS11... especially with a Pink Faun I2S Bridge!  Looking around ZAR.40k for the bundle with duties, etc.  from www.magnahifi.com, but with full warranty and the sound is well worth it!
I absolutely love mine...

Fight the war...

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 05:45:43 AM »
Do you have the infrastructure to move these devices?  I don't mind ordering 20 pieces, but would want to know that they will be sold within say, 6 months.  This type of device is evolving so fast that a better model might surface in a month or two and you are stuck with something difficult to sell

Right now it seems like a worthwhile proposition.  In any case, I will email the supplier and find out his thoughts about this

With the discount offered there isn't a hair on my head that would put 20 in to stock, you are most welcome however, I just thought I would offer it as a possible group buy of sorts. 

I am still evaluating in my head but the model here doesn't seem to work for local resale.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
No mention of the Schiit Modi multibit at $250. What more do you need?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
Have emailed the supplier and asked for quotes for various quantities.  As Guillaume said, you might get a discount if you buy 20.  I'd rather stick to 2, or 4 for the time being

Online gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
No mention of the Schiit Modi multibit at $250. What more do you need?

:stop:
to someone looking for a discrete  R2R DAC, only a discrete R2R DAC will do.

Delta sigma or precision DAC's may have already be considered but "they" want to try something else.