Author Topic: vinshineaudio 20-bit R2R for $598 and more later  (Read 3084 times)

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
vinshineaudio 20-bit R2R for $598 and more later
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
Re: vinshineaudio 20-bit R2R for $598 and more later
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
Looks promising.
I like that they've used the latest XMOS chipset for USB.
We'll be seeing more of that soon.

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:23:56 PM »
Initial feedback seems positive.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/833690/denafrips-ares-r2r-discrete-ladder-dac-close-up-view

More impressions towards the end of the thread.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
great to see R2R and multibit DACs getting cheaper .... i reckon the next iteration of affordable digital audio is going to sound better without really damaging your pocket  :thumbs:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Now which importer will handle this one?  Maybe Audiotweak?  What do you think, Ramsey?

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »
Now which importer will handle this one?  Maybe Audiotweak?  What do you think, Ramsey?
They ship to SA... and very reasonable too: $50USD
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:51:06 AM »
Tempting, very tempting

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
They ship to SA... and very reasonable too: $50USD

Ship or post?

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
I note that this is the cheapest in the range.  They also have one at $3980 and another at $1480.  All of them are R2R DACs

The reviews they suggested were pretty hopeless, one fellow admitting it was his first DAC and he forgot how to set it up.  Another one just takes pictures with his phone and offers no opinion.  Another was in Russian.  What you want is someone who has listened to many DACs and knows what to look out for.  I have bought on specification before and been disappointed with something that is not as good as I am currently using

Its a big jump from $598 to $3980, almost 7 times the price and the website is vague and all the specs sound similar

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »
There may be reviews on head-fi if I recall and a German audio blog.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 03:31:08 PM »
One thing you could guarantee is that it would be very easy to sell it on, here on this forum.  R2R DACs have a very good reputation for offering the ultimate in D to A conversion and it indeed has good specs.  I will probably get one and try it out

The $50 shipping via Fed-Ex is very reasonable.  It would here within a week

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
I note that this is the cheapest in the range.  They also have one at $3980 and another at $1480.  All of them are R2R DACs

The reviews they suggested were pretty hopeless, one fellow admitting it was his first DAC and he forgot how to set it up.  Another one just takes pictures with his phone and offers no opinion.  Another was in Russian.  What you want is someone who has listened to many DACs and knows what to look out for.  I have bought on specification before and been disappointed with something that is not as good as I am currently using

Its a big jump from $598 to $3980, almost 7 times the price and the website is vague and all the specs sound similar

when looking for reviews you should not look for Vinshine audio since they are the singapore dealers - its made in China by a company called Denafrips - and there are reviews at Head-Fi in the thread that Nidri Linked - I spent a couple of hours reading that thread yesterday and some people even liked the Ares (the $598 model) more than other high end tube based DACs that they purchased

theres a few people from Australia and America as well as parts of Europe that have purchased the DAC based on the photos and video that the Russian guy posted on Head-Fi

it definitely seems promising since they say that this model is about on par with a Bimby (Schiit Audio Bifrost Multibit) and some people find it more musical but with less micro detail than more expensive delta sigma models ... so if you are a detail junkie then this might not be the solution for you but if you want musicality above all else then maybe you might enjoy this

personally i prefer an analytical sound with oodles of micro detail so maybe thats why i like the ESS9018 based Delta-Sigma Vivere so much ... and possibly i may not really like this R2R stuff but realistically maybe i need to really hear it before making a conclusion .... which might be a bit difficult given its rarity around the world but given these alternatives maybe we will eventually get to DACs that are as warm and alive as vinyl without the snap crackle and pop, and also more importantly without the digital glare and slight top end harshness of the typical Delta-Sigma models  :thumbs: .... I live in hope

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »
I was thinking of ordering 2 or 3 of the Ares model, if some other people are interested.  There might be a small reduction in shipping.  However, the order will be delivered to me in Cape Town which means another R100 to send it elsewhere in SA

At the moment I am using a Metrum HEX with the upgraded USB board and find it very good.  However, I have yet to experience a Viviere

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »
If we get up to 20 pieces (quite a lot) we can get some discount.  Perhaps one shipment to cape and another to JHB?

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
Do you have the infrastructure to move these devices?  I don't mind ordering 20 pieces, but would want to know that they will be sold within say, 6 months.  This type of device is evolving so fast that a better model might surface in a month or two and you are stuck with something difficult to sell

Right now it seems like a worthwhile proposition.  In any case, I will email the supplier and find out his thoughts about this