Author Topic: RENAULT CAPTUR - AUDIO UPGRADE  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Rhino

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
RENAULT CAPTUR - AUDIO UPGRADE
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »
Hi All

I have been driving this car for about a month.
The downfall is that the standard speakers that comes with the cars sucks bad.
No life in them.

I need to upgrade them.
To whose who has done car audio upgrades, what is good car speaker brands?

Thanks

Cheers
Ryno
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
Re: RENAULT CAPTUR - AUDIO UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
I've done this before with mixed results. Isn't it the head unit's fault?

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Rhino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:28:56 PM »
I've done this before with mixed results. Isn't it the head unit's fault?

skollie

I am not sure, if I can say it like this, the mids towards treble is good, but the lower end there is nothing.
The speakers go to peak very fast.
But a lot of people has upgrade the speakers of this cars overseas
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:18:53 PM »
Rhino, Is it a new shape/model? Check if you can do a Bose sound system upgrade on it.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Rhino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »
Rhino, Is it a new shape/model? Check if you can do a Bose sound system upgrade on it.

Yes, bought it in february.
Will find out, but the sound kits are quite expensive when bought via a dealership

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »
Jip, but then you now it will fit your car and you get warranty on it then and it brings up your value of your car when you sell it. I have full 10 speaker Bose sound system in my Audi and boy owwwww boy , the sweet  :groovy: :groovy: I get out of that. 

Offline Toxxyc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:29:05 AM »
The cheapest option is to buy a cheaper flat, active subwoofer and dump it under one of the front seats (whichever one you prefer).  Hook it up and it will provide some of that low-end sound you've been missing.  This Pioneer is a good option and receives some praise.  More powerful but also larger options include ones like this Infinity, but it also comes with the added pro of having speaker-level inputs (no hi-lo converters and you can keep your head unit).

If you want quality, you're going to need to look at something else entirely, such as replacing the speakers all round, getting a better designed subwoofer in a proper enclosure and installing amplifiers for the speakers and the subwoofer.  Easier options exist (such as the Focal Solution 25A1) where you can just install good speakers and plug it into the same subwoofer box for pretty excellent results.

I wouldn't worry too much about installing the best speakers in the rear doors or amplifying them.  They're not the ones you primarily listen to anyway.

Baseline:  Post a budget.  It'll go a LONG way, since you get upgrades costing a few hundred bucks up to tens of thousands of rands.

Offline Rhino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
I need to keep the head units as is.
Close to the front window it has space for tweeters. The car only came with 4 door speakers.
I have a budget of R3000.00 at this stage.

All I can say, the infinity range is getting my attention a lot.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
If you planning to go aftermarket, check the JBL GTO series to, they got some good stuff. Infinity, JBl all made by Samsung now. hehehe ;)

Offline gov

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
The stock sound in most vehicles are mediocre at best. Most car speakers these days have plastic baskets and tiny magnets.

I would suggest getting a nice set of splits installed, mounted solidly with some deadening on the inner skin of the doors and on the inside of the door pad. It does help. Speaker choice will depend on wether you want to amplify or not.

Change the door speakers first then decide if you want to go further.

By going this route you less likely to pick issues if any with the dealer as they aren't going to open your door pads every service  :O0:

My go to upgrade is Splits upfront, 4ch amp and a sub, 8 or 10. I usually do this in stages.

Will find some pics of the upgrade I did on my brothers corolla....those stock speakers were really  :cr@p:

Offline Toxxyc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »
If you planning to go aftermarket, check the JBL GTO series to, they got some good stuff. Infinity, JBl all made by Samsung now. hehehe ;)

JBL is now made by Harman Kardon, unless I'm mistaken here.  Since the takeover their splits got worth it - their tweeters used to be too harsh.  That's now been sorted.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
JBL is now made by Harman Kardon, unless I'm mistaken here.  Since the takeover their splits got worth it - their tweeters used to be too harsh.  That's now been sorted.

Jip, think you rite there that HK is making JBL, but own by Samsung now  ;)
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-keeping-harman-audio-brands/

Quote: But owning Harman will give Samsung a wide range of brands that are also widely identified as leaders in home and portable audio, too. Barring an unlikely snag in the planned deal, Samsung will soon own such stalwart audio brands as JBL, Infinity, AKG, Mark Levinson, Revel and -- of course -- Harman Kardon, to name just a few. It will also get Harman's professional audio brands, too -- everything from guitar pedals (DigiTech) to microphones (AKG) to mixing desks (Soundcraft) to sound reinforcement (JBL Professional).

Offline avi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
Renault's sound in general is crap, not sure why as with most other manufacturers they're pretty decent.

I would go with the shallow sub under the seat as was suggested as it really just only lacks low end.

Offline Toxxyc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »
Jip, think you rite there that HK is making JBL, but own by Samsung now  ;)

Never knew this, thanks for this tidbit!

Offline Rhino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
I am planning to a total speaker upgrade starting with the front.
Going for a split system.
I have in the dashboard place for tweeters and then in the sides normal speaker.
I might install Infinity, just depends what they have available tomorrow.
Maybe as time goes on I will ad the sub.