Author Topic: Roon membership discounts  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: Roon membership discounts
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »
That's impressive, are you using Odroids Hifi shield 2 Dac in your setup?
I have a Plus and a 2...basically portable DAC/Roon endpoint for kitchen and garage.  Not needed if connecting to a DAC though.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
What Roon endpoints did you use and what Roon Remotes did you use as endpoints?

I only have a Win 10 laptop. I compared loading the Roon endpoint software for Win 10 vs loading the full version of Roon but upon configuring opting to only use it as a remote (as a license only allows a single server to be configured).

Can this then be described as (endpoint) music being pushed to the endpoint from the server vs (remote) music being pulled from the server? Is this statement correct?

The remote option is much quicker to respond that the endpoint option.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »
^^^ I don't think I've understood anything you said other than you only have a Win 10 laptop :Ooooooh:
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • One Life...Live It.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »
The biggest issue I have with ITunes is the fact that if I stop paying, I lose all my music (all goes grey).

Hopefully with Roon, this is a non-issue. Does it keeps your playlist intact even if you "have not paid  :facepalm: for the month?
Marantz - Bowers & Wilkins - AudioQuest

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 02:43:45 PM »
The biggest issue I have with ITunes is the fact that if I stop paying, I lose all my music (all goes grey).

Hopefully with Roon, this is a non-issue. Does it keeps your playlist intact even if you "have not paid  :facepalm: for the month?

I think this is more dependent on Tidal than Roon which by the way keeps your albums, songs and playlists.  With regards to iTunes or rather Apple Music.  I have had the same were once I stopped paying I would loose all my selected Albums and playlists.  However this month I renewed again and it was all there.

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
^^^ I don't think I've understood anything you said other than you only have a Win 10 laptop :Ooooooh:

Fair enough. This is what I was trying say. I compared both these options of running Roon on the same Win10 laptop.

My conclusion was that the Roon Remote option is superior to the Roon Bridge option.

My question to the forum was if anyone else also did this same comparison and what there experience / conclusion was.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »
 Where is the Core?

Offline dekardy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »
My conclusion was that the Roon Remote option is superior to the Roon Bridge option.

That is interesting since Roon Remote, on supported devices, includes output which is effectively what Roon Bridge is. 

Roon = Control, Core and Output
Roon Server = Core and Output
Roon Remote = Control and Output
Roon Bridge = Output

I would have thought that the output of Roon Remote would equal Roon Bridge on the same equipment.

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
Where is the Core?

Core lives on an iMac in my study and music is stored on an NAS drive that is connected to an Airport Extreme wifi access point.

Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi to the network. Connection from the Win 10 laptop to the DAC is via USB.

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 06:46:05 PM »
That is interesting since Roon Remote, on supported devices, includes output which is effectively what Roon Bridge is. 

Roon = Control, Core and Output
Roon Server = Core and Output
Roon Remote = Control and Output
Roon Bridge = Output

I would have thought that the output of Roon Remote would equal Roon Bridge on the same equipment.

Jip, that is exactly why I ask the question. Maybe it's just me.

Leaving sound quality out of the comparison, the system just feels so much more responsive when running the remote option. Comparing the sound is difficult as both options are on the same laptop so you can't simply switch input to do an immediate A/B as you have to close and load software which takes a while, but to my ears the remote option does sound better.

Just wanted to confirm that I'm not going crazy.

Have to say I think Roon is a brilliant piece of software. The guys did a great job getting it to where it is today.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:49:00 PM by Drifter »

Offline dekardy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
Have to say I think Roon is a brilliant piece of software. The guys did a great job getting it to where it is today.

I have to agree with this.  Since my trail has ended I'm looking for alternatives and I have to say that every time I think to myself that with Roon I will not have to deal with these issues/frustrations and time spent to get something working.  LMS gets very close but it does not have the "lipstick on the pig" so to speak.

Unfortunately I'm unable to play with OSX software like Audirvana but I believe it will also just deliver some of the solution Roon provides.

Now back to the OP.  I'm waiting patiently for a possible discount voucher  :pray:

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »
^^^ if you have Roon Bridge and a Roon client installed on the same machine at the same time isn't Roon Bridge running in the background regardless? Also, a Windows install isn't a great choice for a Roon endpoint, try a rpi with dietpi installed