Author Topic: Roon membership discounts  (Read 552 times)

Offline irengineer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
Roon membership discounts
« on: March 12, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »
Anybody have any invites for discounted Roon memberships? I got Roon up and running and love it! An invite to save a few pennies would be great if someone has one.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
Re: Roon membership discounts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:03:21 PM »
If you're patient I may have something in a couple of weeks.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline XL1000

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »
Subscribed
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
At present if you can get 3 or more folk to sign up either annual or lifetime I can get 10% off.  I may be coming into some vouchers though.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »
+1

Offline kolakidd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
+1, Room looks brilliant, the pricing is pretty scary though.

I'm hesitant to try the trial because of the potential setup involved. I currently have everything running smoothly in Audirvana, to install and setup my library for a trial of Roon that's going to end seems a little bit of a mission I don't need.

How hard is it to setup the library in Room, and does it migrate files or tweak meta data or anything like that? Audirvana creates a database instance, but doesn't touch the underlying files or file structure.

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
  • One Life...Live It.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
isn't it less than twice the price of ITunes (Apple) but way more than ITunes in value....

Thus the price is not that Scary if put into context.
Marantz - Bowers & Wilkins - AudioQuest

Offline craig-s22

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »
+1

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Compared with all the audiophool upgrades that yield little to no benefit Roon is a bargain. At some point they're likely to scrap lifetime licenses in favour of a perpetual subscription model, so lifetime is in fact a bargain of note.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
+1, Room looks brilliant, the pricing is pretty scary though.

I'm hesitant to try the trial because of the potential setup involved. I currently have everything running smoothly in Audirvana, to install and setup my library for a trial of Roon that's going to end seems a little bit of a mission I don't need.

How hard is it to setup the library in Room, and does it migrate files or tweak meta data or anything like that? Audirvana creates a database instance, but doesn't touch the underlying files or file structure.

I run both Audirvana and Roon.

Roon beats Audirvana pants down for user experience. Without iTunes intergration, Audirvana's user interface is extremely basic. Roon's database management is also more efficient than that of Audirvana.
Up until the latest version of Roon (version 1.3) I thought Audirvana's sound quality is superior. The new version of Roon however levelled the playing fields. This new version of Roon also simplified meta data management.

Audirvana 3 is however imminent (overdue actually) and speculation is that it will include MQA decoding and a couple of other tricks.

If I had to choose now, I would take Roon above Audirvana (and I was a sceptic when Roon was first launched). It really works well and it has a slick and polished feel to it.

I do think Roon Remote sounds much better than Roon Endpoint, but that is a "cable type discussion". I have done my own comparisons and drawn my own conclusions. For now, Roon is the bees' knees as far as audiophile software goes.

You can safely download the Roon trial. There is an option in Roon settings that disables it from messing with your file structure. If selected it will not interfere with Audirvana and your music files at all. Give it a go.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:59:17 PM by Drifter »

Offline Tirion

• AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »
Compared with all the audiophool upgrades that yield little to no benefit Roon is a bargain. At some point they're likely to scrap lifetime licenses in favour of a perpetual subscription model, so lifetime is in fact a bargain of note.
I agree, my lifetime subscription was probably the ultimate bargain thanks to RJ's generous offer at the time :thumbs:

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »
Up until the latest version of Roon (version 1.3) I thought Audirvana's sound quality is superior. The new version of Roon however levelled the playing fields.
Interesting because other than adding DSP capability nothing was changed in the playback engine.  It won't be long now before Roon also unfolds MQA to the extent permitted outside of a MQA licensed DAC.

I do think Roon Remote sounds much better than Roon Endpoint, but that is a "cable type discussion". I have done my own comparisons and drawn my own conclusions.
What Roon endpoints did you use and what Roon Remotes did you use as endpoints?

There is an option in Roon settings that disables it from messing with your file structure. If selected it will not interfere with Audirvana and your music files at all. Give it a go.
The Organised folder capability is no longer included in Roon.  The only time it will make any changes to your library is if you ask it to delete an album.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »
I only have 9 days left before I have to pull the trigger on my license. If no one has invites, I'll post in this thread if I get some.

I am using a crappy endpoint, Raspberry Pi 3 with a PiDAC+ running Volumio. Music from Roon sounds great on the baby DAC, although the PiDAC's inherent shrillness is always present. Tiring to listen too, even with Tidal Masters (which works great on Roon).

I am ordering an AudioQuest Jitterbug to run on the USB port from my Roon core, as I will connect the Mytek Brooklyn DAC directly to the Roon core PC in the short term. I am trying to source an Odroid to try as an endpoint, so will try the DAC direct with a Jitterbug and via an endpoint. Ran into performance issues on the RPi3 when running audio faster than 24/192. Hoping Odroid will cure that while preserving the MQA stream unmolested for the Brooklyn DAC to shine its magic MQA light. Lots of experimentation ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:30:35 AM »
Hoping Odroid will cure that while preserving the MQA stream unmolested for the Brooklyn DAC to shine its magic MQA light. Lots of experimentation ahead.
You'll have no issues with it, I can stream to four DACs concurrently without dropout.

For MQA to work you need to disable volume leveling and any other DSP in Roon.  Great little shitty invention MQA = sorry, you can't use DSP.   Tough shitski, Bob.

Offline kolakidd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »
You'll have no issues with it, I can stream to four DACs concurrently without dropout.

For MQA to work you need to disable volume leveling and any other DSP in Roon.  Great little shitty invention MQA = sorry, you can't use DSP.   Tough shitski, Bob.

That's impressive, are you using Odroids Hifi shield 2 Dac in your setup?