Author Topic: Yamaha RX-V3900 vs Z7 vs Z9 - Who has experience with these?  (Read 584 times)

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs In Stock
Yamaha RX-V3900 vs Z7 vs Z9 - Who has experience with these?
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
I just got in a Yamaha RX-V3900, plus also a set of three, Boston Acoustics E70 speakers.  i have to say that the combination is very impressive. Those E70 are incredible. 

I'm reading that the Z7 is quite an upgrade and the Z11 was the monster flagship

Anyone have experience with the Z7 and Z11? (as opposed to the 3900?)

I see D..p is selling a Z7 for R16k, but I'm not sure that price is too competitive.  A good amp, but i put it's current value a bit lower

Online Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
    • Remedytec
Re: Yamaha RX-V3900 vs Z7 vs Z9 - Who has experience with these?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
I have owned both Z7 & 3900 (the Z7 longer than the 3900) .... and can whole heartedly say Z7 all the way.

BUT Either way be forewarned - INSURE those units, and pray if that HDMI board goes it does so in a lightning storm. It  will cost close to that price to replace the board alone IF at all available (I honestly think they might not be, so it may even be scrapped)  as it is one of the very first versions of hdmi and the production run was very short (as with all first generation boards around 8-9 years ago)

Effectively it would be worth the price, IF it wasn't for the risk ito the HDMI board. I sold mine for R24000 around 8 years ago, when the retail was R40K.

There is no replacement to either, but closest replacement (for either ito insurance purposes) would be the RX-A3060. IMHO the Z7 was better though (how can it not be considering that almost 10 years later the said RRP on the 3060 is only 20% more and at the time the Z7 cost almost 50% more than the 3900??? ) so effectively I would aim to the pre-power (No insurance would agree to that though, purely due to the fact that the z7 had only 7 channels). 

As far as I can remember the z11 (at twice the price of Z7 :faint:) was basically the just an upgrade in channels, which translated in zones and all round versatility.  For that the replacement would absolutely be the Pre-power.

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs In Stock
Re: Yamaha RX-V3900 vs Z7 vs Z9 - Who has experience with these?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »
Thanks Judy.  i have the 3900 hooked up to the Boston E70 speakers.  i am blown away and that doesn't happen easily.  At this price point of course.  Therefore I can only imagine the improvement in the Z7 and Z11