Universal/PS3 Media Server Stuttering 1080p Content

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bavs108

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Howsit guys,

So I use Universal Media Server or Ps3 Media Server to stream content from my pc over a wired network to my PS3 and/or PS4. I've never had a problem in the past with streaming 1080p content with file sizes of around 15-20gb, even over wireless. However recently I noticed that when streaming certain files, both video and audio stutters to a point that is unwatchable. If I pause the video for a few seconds/minutes and play again it seems to solve the problem, but only for a while until it stutters again. It's almost as if the video is buffering. Now the files that do this seem to have the HEVC codec in common. I have this issue with even 300-500mb files. Any ideas what could be the problem?

I have tried to research the issue, but have not found a solution. One forum did point to the possibility of my processor being too slow in processing the compressed files which may well be the case.

My PC specs:
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz CPU
4Gb Ram
Onboard graphics
Wired network through a hauwei b315 router
Windows vista (I know.... Got free corporate edition when I was still studying)
Both media servers run on default settings

I am planning to upgrade my PC soon, but just want to reaffirm myself that this could be more of a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

Latest posts