Author Topic: Monoprice Monolith M1060  (Read 592 times)

Offline EduanB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Monoprice Monolith M1060
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »
What do you guys think about this new planar from Monoprice? Will it really be able to compete with the LCD2 and HE-560 at only $299?
The M560 got some great reviews and the hype for the M1060 was so high that it sold out day 1.
Link to official site: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16050
Examples of the hype:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5vto12/monoprice_m1060_is_live/?st=izrfly4w&sh=6f3e62f6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAf-_aGR5M

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Monoprice Monolith M1060
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
Looks very interesting! Nice to see somebody come out with an affordable planar magnetic headphone, rather than the unending new and unaffordable TOTL that we've been recently getting. Always heard rumours of the very low BOM cost for planar drivers and that they shouldn't be as expensive as they currently are.

Offline EduanB

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
I'm also happy so see more planars in the sub $500 category. Currently, your options are Fostex T50RP (and the mods), OPPO PM-3 and HE400/400i/400s.

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »
...Will it really be able to compete with the LCD2 and HE-560 at only $299?...
No

:)

I haven't heard them, so can't judge... however, the realist in me feels that it's an untapped market: Sub $250.USD planars

In an age where information (and mis-information) is readily and easily available, common folks are bound to see reviews and ratings of planar headies, and would want a pair to either experience the sound for themselves, or....
..like the 1x Sting and 1x Eric Clapton Unplugged CDs they own, want a pair of planars to play from their Mac's, whilst drinking cheap wine and messaging their other bourgeoisie friends about the date of their next book club meeting for some unoriginal mass-marketed tripe novel.

But hey... just guessing here..
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Wietsche

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 11:05:44 PM »
or....
..like the 1x Sting and 1x Eric Clapton Unplugged CDs they own, want a pair of planars to play from their Mac's, whilst drinking cheap wine and messaging their other bourgeoisie friends about the date of their next book club meeting for some unoriginal mass-marketed tripe novel.

But hey... just guessing here..

LOL! I think I know someone that might fit that picture!  :giggle:

On a serious note, I've heard the LCD-2's. And if I can have that experience at double that price tag it would be worth it!

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 02:11:06 AM »
I recently got a set of Hifiman HE400's  and probably had unrealistic expectatiions. They have some or the other mod done to them...can't remember just now what it is right now.
Anyway, they are pretty good in a sort of 'getting there' way.
I would be interested in a set of planars at that sort of price point that could hopefully get me over the line.

@Wolvebain
Haha, looks like you have a blunt axe.
It's only hifi people....

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
  • Beginner / noob / newbie
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
I am more interested in the M560 - checking amazon every day for an option to get these delivered to SA - monoprice does not seem to deliver to SA.  :sd: Really want to get them on my ears! Reviews make them out as the perfect beginner's budget 'audiphile' cans.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:47 AM »
What do you guys think about this new planar from Monoprice? Will it really be able to compete with the LCD2 and HE-560 at only $299?

Interesting you should mention LCD2 and HE560 ... about as far apart as any two headphones I have heard.  From what I've read the sound quality is quite reasonable but as can be expected at the price the cloth has been cut to fit.  There are reports of connector issues and cracked wood.  If anyone is interested there is a onedayonly 25% off deal today using MARCH25 as discount code.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline EduanB

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
Interesting you should mention LCD2 and HE560 ... about as far apart as any two headphones I have heard.  From what I've read the sound quality is quite reasonable but as can be expected at the price the cloth has been cut to fit.  There are reports of connector issues and cracked wood.  If anyone is interested there is a onedayonly 25% off deal today using MARCH25 as discount code.

Yeah, I agree, the HE-560 and LCD2 sound quite different. I do like them both, though.  I just mentioned them since going by the looks, it seems like the M1060 is somewhat of a mixture of the two at lower prices.

I've also read some of the unfortunate reports of cracked wood, broken connectors (why did they decide to go with MMC?) etc. Seems like it turned out to be a "cheap" knockoff. Good to know that Audeze owners may relax. This did not suddenly devalue anything.

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
  • Beginner / noob / newbie
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
Monolith 1060 cable upgrade.... if someone wanted to:

https://youtu.be/1sjfkq5X9wE

Offline EduanB

• AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »
Zeos's switch box thing is handy and makes balanced cables much cheaper and easier to make especially if you have as many headphones as he does!

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:02:03 AM »
Watched two of Zeos vids.
I am nauseous. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline thomas24

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:03:39 AM »
Watched two of Zeos vids.
I am nauseous. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]

Im glad I'm not the only person who can't endure his videos.

Offline canman1971

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
https://youtu.be/dlWaIDITScI

This will certainly make you sick, I've ordered the audio gd amp with all the upgrades  :giggle:

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Monoprice Monolith M1060
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:04 PM »
Less motion, no cobbling and less assumption so no nausea yet. 

I must say the reviewer has some nifty cable guides in his ears for IEMS     

You would have to use Zeos broken box with single cables to be able to thread them through though. 

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za