Author Topic: Roon, Linux, Tidal  (Read 1108 times)

Offline irengineer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
Roon, Linux, Tidal
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
Re-doing my digital HiFi after a lightning strike, and need advice from guys running Roon.

Most basic question first. Can I run Roon core on Linux and use Tidal? I will also add Plex to the same machine, making it the single source of video and audio content for my home network. I know running this on Windows will work, but I'd prefer to run Linux (Mint or Ubuntu) as the operating system.

The new PC is a Core-i7 with 16GB RAM and a 250GB SSD drive. Actual content will live on a couple of 3TB drives I have lying around.

I love the idea of being able to control Roon from a tablet/phone/pc. This would become my remote control for using Tidal and my local audio files.

My new DAC is a Mytek Brooklyn MQA capable device, so key here is if Roon core on Linux will give me access to Tidal masters.

Advice from someone who's done something similar would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise.  I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.” 

John Peel ( the longest serving of the original BBC Radio1 DJs)

Online Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Roon, Linux, Tidal
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:33:33 PM »
rotten johnny is your go to guy for this..
I run bloze.. core on a dell precision 6600 workstation with a 5tn usb external drive attached and use  a ipad or dell xps 13 or galaxy note II as a remote

Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »
Most basic question first. Can I run Roon core on Linux and use Tidal?
Yes you can still use Tidal on Linux in standalone or via Roon to your endpoints

I will also add Plex to the same machine
Yes your can.  I use containers (docker) and currently run various including Roon Core and Plex.  You don't need to and will be able to run both on Linux.

The new PC is a Core-i7 with 16GB RAM and a 250GB SSD drive. Actual content will live on a couple of 3TB drives I have lying around.
Mine is running on a i3 with 16G RAM and a 1TB drive (no ssd).  It does struggle a bit when I start using plex and roon to multiple endpoints but for me this rarely happens.
I'm sure the i7 with SSD,  :thinking: may I must try using a SSD, will handle the workload much better,

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:42:32 AM »
I am running both Roon and Plex Media Server(DOZE OS) from a core i5 with 16GB Ram and a 250GB SSD with no issues.

SSD is the way to go  :thumbs:

The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:28:32 AM »
If you're not planning on interacting with the machine directly install a server version of the OS. My setup is an i5 running Arch Linux headless. No X server installed. You definitely want Roon's database on SSD. Tidal will work just fine.  I've not followed the MQA thing closely, but it should unfold at the DAC.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 06:04:06 AM »
Great! Ok, what is Bloze/Doze? Did not see anything relevant in a quick Google search?

For fun I have a Raspberry Pi3 with  Pi-DAC+ running Volumio. See that can be a Roon endpoint too.

Am I right in saying that the audio card on the PC has nothing to do with the audio quality from the PC to the DAC? The Roon system simply shoves the data out via the USB port, not touching the audio card? Bit of a silly question, but I used an Auralic Aries Mini DAC before and the audio files lay either on the internal DAC drive, or I hooked it via DLNA from my Plex server.

See that the Roon remote app will not even install on my iPad 4, as it does not have potent enough hardware to run the Roon remote graphics. So, I'll try the app on my phone while I steal on of the kids' tablets for a test lol.

Thanks for the help!

“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise.  I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.” 

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
Rodney was referring to Windoze.

Your PC sound card is irrelevant to the equation, Roon passes the audio stream to the selected Roon endpoint which then passes it through to your DAC. A Pi will likely have issues streaming DSD because of its inherent USB/Ethernet contention problem. iOS devices need to support OpenGLES 3.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 06:00:06 AM »
Aha, got it. See why Odroid is recommended, as the LAN interface is not shared with USB and it has the eMMC slot. Where is the best place to buy these locally?

Offline CAD

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 06:01:46 AM »
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 06:02:52 AM »
Thanks, saw that. They seem to be the only game in town.

Offline CAD

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 06:19:19 AM »
Yeah seems like it.

Just wish they would bring in some stock of the wireless adapters.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 06:24:13 AM »
Pricey little boards. I want to run Roon Bridge on Linux, with enough oomph to pass DSD256 and MQA audio to my DAC. The Odroid XU4 with PSU, case and 32GB eMMC module is around R 3500. The eMMC cards are the real pricey bits. And no info on the Google about XU4 + Linux + Roon Bridge + DSD256. Guess I'll experiment then ;-)

Offline CAD

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »
You really don't need the EMMC module

Both my Odroids, one for Roon and one for Plex Home Theater, run off class 10 SD cards with no issues.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 06:48:17 AM »
That board would be complete overkill for a Roon Bridge host. Even the C1+ more than suffices. +1 re not needing emmc.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:28 AM »
How big a card is needed for DietPi plus bridge? Suppose 8GB should be fine, especially since it will do nothing else?