Author Topic: Furutech launches new top-of-the-line wall receptacle outlet cover 105-D  (Read 1989 times)

Offline JeandreB

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Furutech - Pure Transmission
    • The Audio Visual Boutique - High-End Audio
Re: Furutech launches new top-of-the-line wall receptacle outlet cover 105-D
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
Do the covers come in white?

No, only as per image (black carbon fibre)
Jeandre

"Free you mind...Free your sensesTM"

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAudioVisualBoutique

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 03:27:59 PM »
Timber, I will provide an answer soon, but keep in mind that even prior to the existence of Furutech, hi-fi enthusiasts have been purchasing US wall outlets for their hi-fi systems; mainly because most local distributors of high-end power cables could only import those pre-terminated cables with a US Male plug on it....so...my question is....how did they manage to flood the market for years with US solutions for hi-fi if there is no local regulation in this regard?? Maybe a point for discussion under the public Forum - General Discussions?

No idea, but there are regulations regards electrical safety for mains connected appliances. Insurance can nullify claims with non-approved equipment or lightning etc... that said I suspect that they're certified to an equivalent standard, if in doubt Test Africa or SABS could give you input.  Also the regulations are very strict though at times Massmart et al have gotten away with non-compliant multi-plugs. There is a new plug standard on the horizon for us and I don't like it at all.

Offline JeandreB

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Furutech - Pure Transmission
    • The Audio Visual Boutique - High-End Audio
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 03:30:50 PM »
No idea, but there are regulations regards electrical safety for mains connected appliances. Insurance can nullify claims with non-approved equipment or lightning etc... that said I suspect that they're certified to an equivalent standard, if in doubt Test Africa or SABS could give you input.  Also the regulations are very strict though at times Massmart et al have gotten away with non-compliant multi-plugs. There is a new plug standard on the horizon for us and I don't like it at all.

New plug std? Is it SCHUKO?
Jeandre

"Free you mind...Free your sensesTM"

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAudioVisualBoutique

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 03:38:45 PM »
New plug std? Is it SCHUKO?

IEC Type N or SANS 1642

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/general/130938-south-africas-new-plug-standard-what-to-expect.html

I actually quite like it.  Play with a few plugs and they connect better the your typical EU 2 pin plug.  That said I can see the annoyance when they build in the transformer like chargers etc.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
The US spade-type plug and socket is said to offer a more conductive mating (I like that word) surface than a round (SA/Europe/Japan) plug and socket.  UK plug pins are square and have a spring gripper either side.  There are several makes of plugs similar to the one the OP is punting.  Oxyiade make a few.  Certainly it will offer a more intimate electrical contact than SANS 164-2 and with an earth pin it becomes polarised

But is Furutech better?  The OP will tell you it is so and is not taken aback by the comments expressed on this post. 

The Oxyiade (and probably this plug and socket as well) are not SABS approved, but are so robustly built that they will never give any trouble

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 04:58:44 PM »
IEC Type N or SANS 1642

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/general/130938-south-africas-new-plug-standard-what-to-expect.html

I actually quite like it.  Play with a few plugs and they connect better the your typical EU 2 pin plug.  That said I can see the annoyance when they build in the transformer like chargers etc.

I recently bought a wall socket which has a 15A outlet, a 164-2 outlet, both switched and 2 x 2 amp 5 volt USB sockets

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 05:24:52 PM »
I see job losses with the new SA  plug standard. 

Just a gut feel that the local industry will not tool up new machines and just import from the east. 

I send SA plugs to Cardas and have gold plate SA plugs factory fitted.  It's the hard way.  Before that Cardas could supply but plain non plated MK brand.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za