Author Topic: Anybody willing to setup my Linux system with Roon?  (Read 753 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: Anybody willing to setup my Linux system with Roon?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
So this roon cannot run on Jes' machine ?

What ever happened to the good ol days of open source Linux where one could "make" and deploy your own custom builds and have it as light as possible ? It seems to have also turned into this power hungry inneficient platform now 🤔.... Suspect the more high level languages are becoming the order of the day or scripting php's and the like trying to be a real development tool.

I wonder what is the underlying core development tech used in roon ? & is it proprietary DB they use ?

Speaking out of wrong orifice again?

Roon is developed using Xamarin and leverages .NET, which means it uses Mono in the world of Mac's, Linux and Android.  The DB is open source...LevelDB.  It needs grunt because it's processing a hell of a lot more data points than your typical music server.  It will run on Jes' machine, but unless he has a small music collection it's not going to be a great experience.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Anybody willing to setup my Linux system with Roon?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
Tx ...
Not wrong office good sir ... years back I did a lot of development in assembler and C for Linux builds ... lightweight and getting most packages optimized for a 286 or 486 before porting to pentium ... remember the original "source forg ".... the days before red hat 3.... lost interest when X windows became part of the STD package build & install started to become as heavy as windowz.... etc :dop:
For some reason ... I loved getting the base kernel only and working from there...
So literally you can say I got out when the Linux "digital era" tried to replace the "analogue great"  it was 😂😂
Non audiophile music lover...