Author Topic: Upgrade from Senn HD380Pro to HD700 - Worth it?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Jiggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Upgrade from Senn HD380Pro to HD700 - Worth it?
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »
Hey guys,

I will be going to states soon and been itching to upgrade my cans - had them for about 4 years now.

I still think they are brilliant, tons of bass (which I like) and block out so much external noise when I need to keep my head down.

Saw them on sale for about $500 at Best Buy and thought maybe it's time?

Anyone have experience with them and could give some insight?

PS: I would probably buy a headphone amp at the same time...

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Upgrade from Senn HD380Pro to HD700 - Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »
Never heard the HD700s but it is quite a polarising headphone. It is generally regarded to work extremely well with acoustic music but less so with more energetic recordings. It is open backed so wont block out noise like the 380s. I would strongly suggest you audition before you buy. And then ask yourself what else can be had in R6-8k bracket. Maybe it is the can for you, maybe not.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »
two totally different style of headphones there .... I had the HD380 and i liked them but to be honest my HD555 (with a 595 mod) is a far better sounding headphone, but the issue with open back is always going to be that its going to leak sound out and disturb people around you and also allow more sound in than the HD380

i havent heard the HD700 but going by what Scubadude is saying maybe a pair of HD650 might be a more all round set than the HD700 and it should be fairly cheaper

good idea to get yourself a head amp while you are there too - maybe if you save some money on the headphones you can get a better DAC/AMP while you are at it - the big question is do you need it to be transportable ie will you ever use it for music on the go with a cellphone or tablet or even a laptop

if you are just going to use it at home for music on the quite then maybe some of those Schiit units would be nice but if you are going to move around with it and need a more portable setup then i am very curious about the Ifi iDSD micro (black label) .... if i ever want to upgrade my Nuprime uDSD for mobile and portable usage then that seems to be the unit i would go for .... if its still available at that time

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:10:13 AM »
They are much cheaper at Amazon, I'd look at that route before BestBuy.

The HD700 is a polarising headphone, I demo'ed one briefly a couple of years ago and didn't like it back then, but I think it's very good value for it's current retail price. They debuted at around $800-900! They aren't going to be nice to poorly recorded music and it has a bit of a strange sound signature. Excellent bass quality though, but there is a bit of weird thing thing going on in the mids and the treble can be a bit piercing sounding, so they are only going to be enjoyable with good quality recorded music and mostly of the acoustic variety. While the HD800 has some mods that address perceived issues in the treble, there aren't any mods for the HD700 that I know of that can ameliorate this characteristic, so you are either going to love or hate them. I'd see if I could demo them first before putting down the money. For a second headphone these would make for a very nice complementary pair, but I wouldn't want it as my main headphone. Btw, I think gamers will absolutely love these, very comfortable and lightweight and the stonking bass and treble clarity should make games sound very involving, though I think these cans would be dangerous for listening at elevated volume levels due to the uneven frequency response.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:16:22 AM by kamikazi »

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
Some of the av members don't like Grado's but I'm a big fan. Just try a Grado, especially since you're going to the US. They are low impedance, you don't really need an amp. It's love at first sight or hate thing with the Grado's, I personally love it. Alternatively Beyerdynamics makes very good headphones. If you want a closed can, Takealot is selling the Audiotechnica MSR7 for about R2500.

Some ideas to confuse you!!!
GAS and OCD

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 11:34:48 AM »
... it is quite a polarising headphone. It is generally regarded to work extremely well with acoustic music but less so with more energetic recordings.

Hmmm  :thinking:  could equally apply to most Grado's in my experience ...

HD650 (even HD600) may be a better choice as suggested, but only you can decide If closed back is your thing AT does make a couple of very good ones.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 02:12:14 PM »
If you're gonna go to the US, then I strongly suggest testing out the Shure SRH1540; Shure's flagship close back, full-sized, headphones.

It has warmer Bass/Sub-Bass & lower-mids instead of perfect neutral, but never bloated, muddy, nor over-exaggerated... 
Highs are crisp, clear, and present; no piercing highs. 

Easy to use as on-the-go headies listening at 46Ω Impedance and 99 dB/mW Sensitivity, but with any headphone/IEM's unless one is using a decent Hi-Res portable source (Hi-Res DAP like the Onkyo DP-X1A, etc.. or a Hi-Res mobile phone like the HTC 10 or LG V20) a portable head.amp will always provide even better sound.
Constructed from Aircraft-Grade Alu & Carbon Fiber make them ultra lightweight and uBer durable too.
And then there's the perforated alcantara earpads that are just THEE BEST EVER.

I mainly use my SHR1540 at the office with a balanced cable to the GeekOut v2, and it tackles everything awesomely: From EDM to Prog-Rock to Acoustic.. Actually listening to Run The Jewels as I'm typing this post :) .. and the track 'Talk to me' just started, and it's bass is like being in the club!!!

If you're around Centurion, you can PM to arrange for a session.
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Jiggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for the insight and feedback - really appreciate it!

So, after reading the comments:

- I definately need closed-back cans for work and home
 - Banging bass is important to taste of music
 - I do like to the Shure SRH1540 as I saw the frequency response goes down to 5, which are even lover than the HD380Pro

Can you guys recommend any other close back brands that you have experience with?

@ Wolvebain, I might take you up on the offer.

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »
I've tried Audiotechnica M30, M40, M50, own M70. Also owned Beyerdynamic DT770. The Beyerdynamic T51i is highly praised but is it on ear not over ear and not as comfortable as the DT770. Among closed cans I owned, the Beyerdynamic DT770 is the best sounding one. However, I had return mine because of bass rattle, so be carefull, no hip hop (Drake especially). Surfs over. As I mentioned in a previous post the Audiotechnica MSR7 sells for R2500 at Takealot, normal price over R5000k. It's a prettier looking M50x, well worth the money spent.
GAS and OCD

Online thomas24

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »
I've tried Audiotechnica M30, M40, M50, own M70. Also owned Beyerdynamic DT770. The Beyerdynamic T51i is highly praised but is it on ear not over ear and not as comfortable as the DT770. Among closed cans I owned, the Beyerdynamic DT770 is the best sounding one. However, I had return mine because of bass rattle, so be carefull, no hip hop (Drake especially). Surfs over. As I mentioned in a previous post the Audiotechnica MSR7 sells for R2500 at Takealot, normal price over R5000k. It's a prettier looking M50x, well worth the money spent.

MSR7 price on Takealot is back up to R4999

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
It's a prettier looking M50x, well worth the money spent.

Not really an accurate description. It is quite a different headphone sound wise, one that I quite enjoy, especially the mids, which wasn't a strength of the M50, and it definitely won't count as a warm sounding headphone. The M50 does deliver the goods in the bass department, where the MSR7 focuses more on a neutral bass presentation that more reflects to what you are listening to. It is also more spacious and airy sounding from what I can remember from memory on the M50. It is also a much more comfortable headphone on the head. Looking at the OPs wishes the M50X would probably be a better bet than the MSR7 and then I'd suggest the Momentum M2 over that in terms of the sound he might be looking for (warm, lots of bass).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:11:06 AM by kamikazi »

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
Yes, I agree with Kamikazi's description about the MSR7, and it seems that it is not available anymore  :(.
GAS and OCD

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
Not really an accurate description. It is quite a different headphone sound wise, one that I quite enjoy, especially the mids, which wasn't a strength of the M50, and it definitely won't count as a warm sounding headphone. The M50 does deliver the goods in the bass department, where the MSR7 focuses more on a neutral bass presentation that more reflects to what you are listening to. It is also more spacious and airy sounding from what I can remember from memory on the M50. It is also a much more comfortable headphone on the head. Looking at the OPs wishes the M50X would probably be a better bet than the MSR7 and then I'd suggest the Momentum M2 over that in terms of the sound he might be looking for (warm, lots of bass).

Heard the MSR7 on the weekend and I was very impressed.  Not for bassheads despite having fair extension, a lovely neutral tone and the best imaging and transparency I've heard in a closed back.  And very different to the M40X which like the M50X is probably closer to the sound the OP wants.  Must say the low R2k price was a steal!

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 08:42:29 PM »
For a bass-centric sound, I'd suggest also auditioning the Sony MDRZ7 & Denon D2000, in addition to the SHR1540, when you're in the States..
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline canman1971

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »
Must listen to the HD700s before purchasing, should you be drawn in by the tonal balance go back and listen a few more times before making the final decision, these cans are an acquired taste. Scubadude advises wisely - HD600s or HD650s  :thumbs: