Author Topic: Should I import speaker drivers for local market?  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Should I import speaker drivers for local market?
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
Sica are an OEM that caters for volumes in the mostly budget PA sector. Their measurements are on an IEC baffle and non-trivial to interpret for most.  They have some fair value items in their line-up. Think of them as a budget Ciare.

Regards tweeters, there is a definite market gap at the bottom end left by infinity dynamics for a cheap replacement 1" dome that's not really bad. However most dealers will offer you perhaps R80 for something they'd likely sell at almost twice the price in this market bracket.

Offline DeonC

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
Tweeter choice:
...But the faceplate shape is ugly...

It reminds me of the old Philps tweeters.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline DRNB

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
I have removed my earlier comment. I meant it to be more of a guidance on selection criteria to the importer. But it reads rather as criticism, that could affect the OP thread negatively.

Fact is it seam like the Sica drivers is good quality at a very good price. And we definitely have a gap in the bottom end of the DIY market. I would actually say up to the price point of R500.00

PS: Now why did no one complaint to the mods that I'm being too harsh on a guy with very good intentions?  :whip:
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
Norval, I don't think you were being harsh, and I don't see the reason why you found it necessary to self-censor. If a person is trying to contribute to the community in a positive way, it does not help to just give them good news. Sharing views on possible pitfalls and product quality/suitability is in my view one of the most helpful things you can do, rather than shutting up and seeing the guy dig a hole for himself (that said, I don't believe the situation is as bad as "digging a hole"). He asked for advice and he got both enthusiastic and cautionary feedback.

It does look like Spica manufactures for a wide range of the driver market. The drivers already ordered seem to be from the lower range. As audio enthusiasts we tend to have minimum standards, such as the tweeter must have an aluminium face plate or the mid/bass driver basket must be aluminium and/magnesium alloy. However, I'm sure - if so revealed - that many of us will admit to enjoying speakers that don't come near to those "minimum standards". It's impossible to judge the quality of a driver just by looks. As for the price... I think prospective DIYers just lost their last excuse to not venture forth.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
PS: Now why did no one complaint to the mods that I'm being too harsh on a guy with very good intentions?  :whip:

Because I'm new, I know nothing of the subject or the biggest part of the discussion (the finances), I usually post too much (I'm prolific that way), I stick my foot in my mouth and, well, I'm not about to ruin my rep on here by reporting an actual moderator.

Not to mention I didn't see it as negative criticism, but more like realistic information that should be considered because we're talking money and money is, well, important.

I think prospective DIYers just lost their last excuse to not venture forth.

Exactly this, actually.  I could not justify the cost of drivers that meet your "minimum" requirements since I'm not in the game yet, so to speak.  I need to see if this is for me, and I'm not doing that with R10 drivers from the corner electronics store.  I've done cheap before, and I didn't like the sound of it more than I enjoyed designing and building everything.  I want to try "better", but could not find a realistic option between cheap junk and too-expensive-to-play/test-with to see if this is really for me, but OP covered that part nicely now.

Might I ask, if someone knows, why there isn't an option for drivers like this in SA while the market is available overseas?  Profit margins too low?  Risk/cost not worth it?  Market too small here?  Too small to even cover the cost/effort of importing, say, 20 or 30 of these drivers at a time?  OP mentioned importing 10 of each (midbass and tweeters) and it seems like he sold everything off in a matter of hours, and it hasn't even landed yet, so obviously somewhere someone is lying about something, not so?

Online pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
There will always be a market for the cheaper stuff. When the cost starts going >R1k per driver the demand dwindles fast, and at that price the profit is still low. The volumes sold of medium to high range drivers are too low to make it worth it, and the capital too high to carry stock. Guys like Xumbug could (sort of) do it because they used the drivers in their own products and brought batches in anyway.

Offline The Godfather

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
Vivid should make and sell drivers .... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Noizyboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • PQ Sound
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
Vivid should make and sell drivers .... Lol

there would only be 1 or 2 people that could afford Vivid drivers

Offline PJFourie

• AVForums Member
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
Definitely yes from me. I've bought some drivers and crossovers from you and I'm really impressed. Thank you.

Offline Toxxyc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
I remember this thread.  The stuff you initially imported and sold for, well, let's call it a bargain because it is, is working like a charm.  I'll definitely be contacting OP again in the future for my next builds.