Author Topic: Should I import speaker drivers for local market?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Should I import speaker drivers for local market?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »
Glad you explained. I have notice that nowadays "shipping" is used universally to mean send (by whatever means).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Noizyboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • PQ Sound
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
POST and Speakers  :facepalm:  can only end like this  :sd:

Offline SeanS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 08:10:35 PM »
Importing speaker parts with no backup available locally is always risky. I have had a driver delivered with a cracked basket, what happened there, packaging was OK, who is too blame. Only option is to buy a new one, import, pay full price etc. Buying a few kits you still pay full retail, as noted shipping is the same... or save a few %, but carry risk for others? Unless it is a big scale plan probably best just to go solo.

Offline kolakidd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »
Thanks for that.

Is there no happy medium in between? How does it work when I buy an item off AliExpress or ebay with free shipping? (granted, those are not heavy items...)

Aramex Global Shopper is your friend. I ship via post from China to an Aramex address in Hong Kong for cheap, and then from Hong Kong to SA using Aramex. Beats the price of any Aliex shipping method. Also, it's pretty obvious from the shipping pricing that the Aliex retailers are discounting goods and recovering some margin on the faster shipping methods they offer. So they quote a 60 day shipping time for free shipping, which puts it out of Aliex returns, which makes it seem like a riskier option, and making it more likely you will choose the more expensive option.

For shipping goods from the US, MyUS has a cheaper option, which is specifically for heavy goods. It's about 50% cheaper than any freight forwarding method I have found with a turnaround time of 7-14 days.

Having said all of this, I actually would rather source locally and support local suppliers, I really appreciate the fact that even though there is a minimal to zero profit, that some people actually take the hassle stock stuff locally just to keep the DIY community alive. Thank You!

It would be great if there was an index somewhere of our local DIY audio parts informal and formal suppliers (many on this forum) and the items they offer.

Offline DeonC

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 06:19:39 AM »
It would be great if there was an index somewhere of our local DIY audio parts informal and formal suppliers (many on this forum) and the items they offer.

+1!
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline Kemosabe

• Undertaker
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 02:39:46 AM »
I love DIY so dont take this as negativity but if you withdraw some wads of notes from your bank account and use them to start a braai instead of this business idea at least youll save time and firelighters! Youve got a depressed economy, a niche product with a very small targt market, an ignorant gen Y whove mostly never heard or seen hifi and a bulky yet fragile item which costs a lot to ship. Youre a braver man than I am.
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Should I import speaker drivers for local market?
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 06:46:36 AM »
Not disagreeing with Kemosabe.

I do think the hipster generation if marketed to correctly might just like a self hand crafted speaker to listen to while eating their pulled pork on artisan ciabatta bread with their crafty brew. 

However, the marketing is a task perhaps best left to a crowd with plenty cash. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Dreamerm6

• AVForums Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
Freight from US is just plain madness. imported from there many times in the past and always even if you get a good deal the freight is always extremely expensive.
$ speaker set from USA = $280 + freight $340 !!! So $620 for some speakers and parts! WTF!?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
I find the UK and Germany worse on small shipments. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Rhino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »
I have imported from germany and paid 40 Euro for my speaker buld
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »

What shipping company was used?

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slutē
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:08 PM »
Not disagreeing with Kemosabe.

I do think the hipster generation if marketed to correctly might just like a self hand crafted speaker to listen to while eating their pulled pork on artisan ciabatta bread with their crafty brew. 

However, the marketing is a task perhaps best left to a crowd with plenty cash. 

Today's hipsters favour a gluten free vegan diet alongside their organic vegan certified craft beer, so more likely eating a zucchini pasta salad with quinoa, tofu and a zesty yuzu dressing.  I'm told it goes perfectly with an American hopped ethically culled barley based beer.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Dreamerm6

• AVForums Member
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »

40 euro freight ?? Did you post it with post office?

Offline Rhino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
I did receive it via post office.
But I think there is some who had it delivered to there doors.
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline Dreamerm6

• AVForums Member
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
Just a follow up, I am getting 10 of these 5 1/4  inch hifi mid bass woofers at R 290 each if any one is interested, if the orders are high i can get another 10. Perfect for DIY and speaker replacement. Specs are : 40W rms at 8ohm (made in italy)!

Also getting these tweeters at R 290 each. 1inch dome tweeter. 50W and 1inch dome 100w at R 350 each